Question about new Dell Inspiron computer

lakelover

Rear Admiral
It's a long shot but is anyone familiar with Dell Inspiron 3880 computer? Mine has one sata hard drive, but I have hooked up my old hard drive (same make/model) to retrieve files off it. Our old computer died in a recent power outage but the HD still works.

The new Dell HD isn't mounted horizontally with the traditional side rails, but vertically in the front of the machine. I'm wondering if there is a bracket available so I can piggyback the 2 drives and also have the old one mounted internally. It looks like a second one would fit physically, mounted in this manner. I asked Dell and they either don't know or won't tell me.

An esoteric question, I know!

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Lakelover, long time, no see.

Is the the old drive a SATA drive? I don't think you can add the old drive permanently. But to copy files, the motherboard does have a second SATA data cable connector. You need a SATA splitter power cable like this - https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...CGK7VV6EFP8&psc=1&refRID=DPNB752F1CGK7VV6EFP8

And a second SATA data cable.

You old PC may have both cables.
Hi, yup it's been a long time! I used the data cable from the old computer and the power cable already had a splitter on it. I've been using it with the side open. I just wonder if there's some sort of bracket where I can piggyback the drives. If I can't find anything, I guess I'll just remove the side panel and install & use it as needed. I just thought maybe at some point I could reclaim the disk space and have a second internal drive. Thanks for the input and I hope all's well with you.!IMG_20201028_195504179.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The new drive is a 1 Tb drive......just copy the old onto the new and be done with it.
I have the contents of my last 3 laptops (commercial data) loaded on my current laptop with a 500 Gb drive. A little less than 30% full.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I don't really want to fill up the new drive with all the junk I might not ever need. Old 1 Tb drive is 438 GB used, of which I've transferred 218 of the important stuff. I'm thinking that after a while when I'm sure I have all I want I can delete all the stuff on the old one and have the storage space. I'm still trying to see if I can find a cage for 2 drives that might fit in.

The new drive is attached directly to the frame with 4 screws.IMG_20201029_121939.jpeg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'm doing OK, Lake.

Here is your solution - Remove the drive from the case - The Dell Service Manual - https://www.dell.com/support/manual...23a2f0-b2ef-4ad5-8c99-c18aec830811&lang=en-us

Take the slide rails off the drive you are adding, lay the added drive on top of the removed drive and using the 3 threaded mounting points on each drive fashion a plate so the there is a small separation between the drives, Put it all back together with the piggy-backed drives.

That should do it since Dell doesn't have a 2nd drive mount for a 3880, but you will. These are the side mounting holes, both drives have them on each side.

hdmount.png

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Thanks. That sure looks to be a good solution, actually the best I've seen yet.. I wanted to investigate first if there was a ready made adapter, but if there is, I haven't found it. I knew the 3880 wasn't real expandable when I bought it but had to economize a little. I can add a solid state drive but...that's for some time in the future! Heck, I remade a whole boat and this is only a computer! ;) Thanks for your help, GA.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How was the drive mounted in the old, broken PC? By any chance did the slides on the side fit into an enclosure with maybe a CD drive above or below? That enclosure could be mounted to the Dell bracket and both drives slipped in and secured, then mount the bracket with the 4 screws.

Or look in the garage for some plywood scraps, fashion a box, stain and varnish so it matches Permanent Vacation. :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral
How was the drive mounted in the old, broken PC? By any chance did the slides on the side fit into an enclosure with maybe a CD drive above or below? That enclosure could be mounted to the Dell bracket and both drives slipped in and secured, then mount the bracket with the 4 screws.

Or look in the garage for some plywood scraps, fashion a box, stain and varnish so it matches Permanent Vacation. :)
Thanks again, more ideas! I've got a path forward now. The boat ran great this year, but unfortunately didn't get the amount of use I had planned. Hoping for a better schedule and more opportunities next year!