Question about my motor when I ran out of gas today

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went run my 1979 mariner 25 today ran awesome on the way back to landing I ran out of gas but right before I ran out my Rpms went up and I picked up speed for a good minute r two can any explain

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question about my motor when I ran out of gas today

When it started sucking air, the mixture leaned out. Are your sure it ran a minute or two? That's a long time and lean running that long means there was less oil in the fuel for lubrication.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

They always run great lean just before they pop.

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah prolly not that long ....but y don't It run that fast all the time u think it can be a float issue r seat

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

U think if I drop on my pitch it would pick up a lil more speed

Mi duckdown

Commander

It's 25 hp Don't spend money. is your prop in good condition? And since you don't mention what boat you have. Tiller/ console. Who knows?

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes you can but if its has the right pitch on it now it can blow up the motor, what WOT rpm is it now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Most all 2-cycle engines pick up RPMs when running lean. But there is a price to pay for that lean run too. It is called extra heat and little lubrication to all the internal bearings causing sever wear. So you can lean it out (install smaller main jets) but you will be rebuilding or replacing that engine real soon if you do. I use to fly R/C aircraft and literally wore out many engines peaking them pass their limits before I understood that concept. I was only getting around twenty or so flights and the engines were gone. Once I backed off the lean peak rpms, the engines lasted as long as I wanted to fly... Expensive lLesson learned the hard way! :facepalm:

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

When we used to race 2 stroke motorcycles there was a sayin.........lean is mean.... 2 strokes have two different lean conditions....
restricted fuel delivery ( not fast ) reduced amount of premix ( fast but short lived )

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got a allweld 14ft flat with a stainless 11 pitch my older brother has same boat but 15ft with a Yamaha 25 with a 10 1/2 pitch r 10 I'm not sure witch one it is and his boat is faster then mine

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can u read rpms while u running it

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

get a inductive tach....

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool I'm order it what the top rpm it should run

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Works nice as an hour meter too.

qdva.jpg

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Without a manual for one in front of me I'd say 5500 max RPM on one of those.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If the boat is loaded with 2 people and all needed gear for fishing, then you can go to a 13 pitch without any trouble for the prop. I run that on a 14' StarCraft Mod V hull and can run around 27 when loaded as such. Any more than that dose not work when getting up on plane. I always carry a extra 2 gallons of gas and oil in the boat when I think there is a chance of running out of fuel. It is cheap insurance for not having damage done to the motor from a Lean burn, and getting back to the ramp without a tow or paddling. You need to check the law for your boating area before hand, to make sure it is legal to do so. JMO
Oldman570