Question About My Jackplate

Snake334

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
35
After reading many posts on here, I have not been able to find an answer to my question. I recently built a jackplate in my garage for my 24' pontoon. I mounted a 70hp Johnson long shaft on my boat. The transom had been modified in the past (before I owned it) for a short shaft engine, so this engine had to be raised. I made it using 1/2" thick 6061 T6 aluminum angle and 1/2" SS bolts. Everything mounted up and it looks good. There is no play in the engine. I took it out Saturday for its first trip to try it out, and it worked flawlessly. Today, however, I noticed what looked like oxydation on the aluminum. Is this normal? Or have I done something wrong?
 

joebob14

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
170
Re: Question About My Jackplate

It is normal but a zinc plate will slow down the oxidization. Any boat dealer should be able to get you one the right size.
 

Snake334

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
35
Re: Question About My Jackplate

OK, thanks for the info. Also, could I put anything on it to help, like wax or polish it, or something like that?
 
Top