Question about Mercruiser Coupler 18643A5

monette999

Seaman Apprentice
Question about Mercruiser Coupler 18643A5
Hello

I am writing you from Germany where my boat is and I would like your advice on my problem.
I am a DIY guy and had an engine problem (305) last year on my 1994 Searay. I replaced the engine by a 350 SBC.

Now on my fist boat tour on the Rhein I lost torque when I was accelerating. I marked the prop and the shaft and let it slip again. When I checked the marks they where alliged.
So bad part is now if the coupler is weak. But I had no smell on bord and I let it slipped for a while.

When a coupler breaks, do it breaks slips loose contact on the outer surface or do they break where the inner geared shaft is surrounded with rubber.

I would like to try an iterim fix and use some self drilling screws and drill ther through the round metal into the rubber.

Do you now another option! I know this is mickey mouse but I like to save my season before I replace the coupler.
The coupler cost $ 350 in Germany. In the US I`ll pay $120 from GLM. Are they good from GLM

So it will take some time to have it here by mail an I like to use my boat this summer.

Thank you for your advise.

BR
Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question about Mercruiser Coupler 18643A5

Sorry, but there is no way to repair a coupler. Replacement is the only cure for a failed coupler.

When you installed the new engine, did you align the engine? If not, that is probably what destroyed your coupler.
Have a look at this thread for alignment information.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2971085

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Question about Mercruiser Coupler 18643A5

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Bob,...

I'm sorry, but yer micky mouse bandaid just Won't work,...
No how, No way...

As Don says, ya need a New 1, 'n ya Gotta align the coupler/ gimbel bearing, or you'll be doin' it All over again...