question about engine

KXP

Seaman Apprentice
I have asked this question before kind of if i have a boat with a cracked 305 engine if i wer to go to the wrecking yard and find a block and either have it rebuilt or just find a running 305 and swap the accesserories would this work and what would i have to do thank you again.

Norm Malcosky

Seaman
Re: question about engine

Ken,<br /><br />If you have not totally destroyed your engine (i.e. winter screwup problems) Several choices are perhaps available: <br /><br />1.) You may be able to repair "minor" water jacket damage with JB Weld. If the crack is into the oil gallery, perhaps near the lifters - too bad, you will probably have replace the block.<br /><br />2.) If your existing engine only has a few hours, you may swap all your good engine parts into a "bare-block" that you can purchase for a couple hundos. (I did one about 25 years ago for $80) You would have to replace the steel freeze plugs with brass ones - or they will soon begin to leak. <br /><br />3.) If swapping all engine components (crank, pistons, cam) to a bare block is too much effort, you could get a good used automotive engine and swap all external accessories (distributor, alternator, starter, water pump, fuel pump). If doing this option, you should also swap the intake manifold/carb, and transfer the marine cam shaft into this engine. Also change the freeze plugs to brass.<br /><br />Sounds like a lot of work - Sure you still want to keep the boat ?

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The camshaft for the marine may be different. I havn't actually compared one but everyone says they're different. I'd like better explanation on this at some point..<br /><br />Otherwise should work fine. Try to find an application that meets your power requirements.. I.e, a 150hp 8.5:1 motor won't do, but a 180hp 9.5:1 HO 305 will.<br /><br />-- Joe

JasonB

Lieutenant

A marine cam is very close to an RV style cam. When I rebuild my 302, I used a crane energizer cam kit that is rated for the RPM range I'm running. I've run it for a year and have been told that it runs faster than stock and have no problems climbing up on plane and pulling skiers with multiple people in a fairly heavy boat.<br /><br />As far as the blocks themselves, there is no major difference in the bare block between a car and a boat. That being said, the freeze plugs, carb, exhaust manifolds, starter, alternator, etc. are different.