Question about control cable and water separator for carbureted engine

Magnumpl

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I am replacing my boat's fuels lines and control cables along with the remote control box and I have two questions. I would appreciate if someone could help me with this so that I can complete the project.

1. I have a 2005 Mercury 150hp Saltwater XL SW outboard, SN# 1B043582 which is oil-injected and carbureted. I am not sure if this engine needs a water separator. I had it installed but always had some issues with priming the engine. I read through the service manuals and it doesn't say anything about a water separator at all. It only shows the inline small fuel filter. The EFI model does show a water separator, but the Carb model does not. Does anyone know if the Carburetor model should have a water separator or not?

2. I switched out my old Gen 1 binnacle remote control box to a Gen 2 and went with Seastar Xtreme control cables. However I purchased 17' which would be just right to reach the engine and controller, it does not put tension on the cable when turning the engine, however does not leave any extra, it's right on spot before putting tension or stressing the cable. Is that fine or should there be an extra loose cable?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would definitely think you need a water separator.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A water separator is a real good idea. If installed properly, a water separator will not cause priming issues. You likely have an air leak in your fuel line, or some other issue.

I do not understand your No. 2 question. Normally you would be talking about throttle and shift cables. We do not refer to them as turning the engine. Steering cables turn the engine.

Magnumpl

Seaman Apprentice
A water separator is a real good idea. If installed properly, a water separator will not cause priming issues. You likely have an air leak in your fuel line, or some other issue.

I do not understand your No. 2 question. Normally you would be talking about throttle and shift cables. We do not refer to them as turning the engine. Steering cables turn the engine.
I will add the water separator in this case.
For some reason Mercury does not recommend a water separator in this type of engine since they consider it a fuel restrictor. That's what I found online.

For my second question, it is about the control cables for throttle and shift. For turning the engine I mean that when I turn the engine towards the port side all wires are being pulled with the turn, including control cables. Given that there is no loop or extra cable, it is a few inches before putting a stress on the control cables. Not sure if that's okay or if the control cables must have some play.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Proper water separators will not restrict fuel flow. They are rated at 20GPH and 40GPH. Your motor is at most 15GPH, and most of the time less. Do not let them get full of water, or water will find it's way to the engine.

Ideally the control cables are 2' longer than the distance from control to engine. Not sure what to say, if the control cables can reach the engine w/o strain, you are likely fine. If not, longer cables are available.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Get a genuine racor (mercury sell one) water separating filter and you’ll be good. These have been fitted to engines like this and decades older for years now and all is well. Had one on an old 80’s merc 150 years ago. If anything is going to be a restriction, it won’t be that…as long as it’s clean !

Magnumpl

Seaman Apprentice
The previous 3/8" fuel line was connected to a Tee connector inside the engines box. I connected it the same way however the line needed to be tightened hard since the Tee connectors barb is too small for a 3/8" hose. All lines after that Tee are smaller. I was thinking that it is not the right way to do it. I checked the manuals and it looks a bit different.

Here is how I have it set up:

received_332022962723913.jpeg

Here is what the part diagram shows:

Screenshot_20230919_210614_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230919_193404_Chrome.jpg

Should the fuel line be connect to the Tee?

Shouldn't there be a connector on the exterior of the engine that the main fuel line connects into?

Dukedog

Captain
probably was a "quick connect" on tha motor and they jus eliminated it and went straight to tha fuel pump..... losta folks do that.

a filter, of any kind, doesn't have any reflection on tha "prime/choke" circuit...........

Magnumpl

Seaman Apprentice
probably was a "quick connect" on tha motor and they jus eliminated it and went straight to tha fuel pump..... losta folks do that.

a filter, of any kind, doesn't have any reflection on tha "prime/choke" circuit...........
So it's fine to have it this way? Or is it better to have a connector/reducer before the Tee?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So it's fine to have it this way? Or is it better to have a connector/reducer before the Tee?
I would put a reducer before that tee if you cant find a tee with the proper size barbs. The hose and tee should be the same size, otherwise thats a risk of fuel leakage and sucking air into the lines. Not sure if the larger diameter hose is needed to properly feed the two other hoses though. The proper tee with one larger barb and two smaller would be best.