Question about boat trailer tires for winterization.

maxum26

Cadet
I have a 2001 26'' maxum sitting on a venture aluminum VATB-7225 tandem axle trailer.The boat and trailer weigh right around 7,000 lbs.I wanted to take the tires off the trailer for winter storage to avoid flat spots any ideas of how I could jack this boat?And would some cinder blocks hold that kind of weight?any help would be nice this is my first season with this size boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about boat trailer tires for winterization.

A pair of heavy duty jack stands will work nicely. Jack up one side of the trailer just behind the rear spring shackle. Place one jack stand there. Repeat for the other side. The tongue jack will support the front. Remove the tires, deflate to 1/2 rated sidewall pressure and store inside.

dgiles

Seaman Apprentice

Always a good idea to do what silvertip suggests. Or you could do what 99% of the population does and simply leave it on the ground. Generally, you are going to need to replace tires from UV damage or wear issues long before flat spotting is going to hurt them.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2001 26'' maxum sitting on a venture aluminum VATB-7225 tandem axle trailer.The boat and trailer weigh right around 7,000 lbs.

7,000 lbs is pretty heavy for a 26 inch boat! :D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

its pointless to prevent flatspotting... It does zero damage to your tires, and any flatspots are going to be gone in a mile or two max next year. Unless you vacuum seal your tires, they are still exposed to O2. (which will damage tires as bad as UV, so just covering your tires or storing them inside doesn't prevent aging.)

maxum26

Cadet

Thanks for all the help fella's.Looks like I'm going to leave them on the ground and see how it goes.:D

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Leaving them on the ground in one spot for a few months won't do permenant harm tot he tires. It's when an owner leaves the trailer in one spot for years without moving that causes damage. A few months over the winter will be fine.

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

the only flat spotting that will destroy your tires is when they are flat from no air. if left flat with wieght on them the cords get damaged. just keep air in them and you'll be fine.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Have to disagree with the naysayers here. Taking the weight off your tires does, in my opinion, help prevent premature failures due to flat spotting. Whether a bias or radial tire, either will benefit from having the weight removed from them. When the tires sit and flat spots occur, the cords take a set. Granted, they return to normal once warmed up usually but somtimes they don't and that is when heat builds up and causes failures. I don't know if there is concrete evidence either way but I can say from experience that after I started supporting my trailer during periods of non-use I have not experienced a tire failure due to a tread separation or sidewall failure. My current trailer tires are 4 years old. They look very good with zero signs of cracks, the tread is worn evenly, the depth is excellent, they tow very well and have over 10,000 miles on them. (Tandem) I jack my trailer up if I will not be using it for more than a few weeks and remove the tires and store them in the garage over the winter. I don't have any evidence that says it does NOT help so for the minimum of effort involved I do it. Just my $.02.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My first trailer had flat spots on the tires after the first winter. So, all during the 1960's I used to jack up and remove the tires. That's what the "book" said to do back then.

Years later I found myself with too many wheels and I got lazy. Haven't removed a tire in 20 years. Funny thing is that with the tires they make today I haven't even seen (or felt) a flat spot in 20 years.

Any effort is too much effort if the outcome doesn't change. Not saying you shouldn't do it - just be careful to support the axle in the right place so it doesn't bend.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

I jack mine up and put cinder blocks underneath. I feel bad for the tires having to hold all that weight all year, so I give them a break in the winter. Tires may have feelings and don't forget it.......

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

My current trailer tires are 4 years old. They look very good with zero signs of cracks, the tread is worn evenly, the depth is excellent, they tow very well and have over 10,000 miles on them.

My current boat tires are around 10 years old. (still stamped 'made in america'!) Probably 10,000 miles on them also. They have never left the ground, not once... I don't even notice any flatspotting with radial tires, although my bias ply snowmobile trailers will flat spot a little while sitting over summer.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jus my $.02. Flat spotting was a big issue when cords were made of Nylon, they stunk, 2 weeks thump, thump, thump. With steel belts, armrid cords, and others aren't as bad. If I was that worried about it I would pull the trailer around the block every two weeks. I do however back my trailer up on wood planks, for 2 reasons, 1) to keep the tires from sinking into the stone lot I park it in, 2) has to do with the first if they sink in the ground freezes around tires poping the beads causing a flat. My trailer moves at best a 1/2 mile a year so tire flat spots are not an issue with me to start with.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I have never heard of removing the wheels over the Winter. I guess I have been lucky and never had a problem. They don't seem to flat spot when I pull her out of the garage and to the lake at the start of the season.

V

bigdee

Commander

I have never heard of removing the wheels over the Winter. I guess I have been lucky and never had a problem. They don't seem to flat spot when I pull her out of the garage and to the lake at the start of the season.

V
Same here, why should a boat trailer be treated differently than any other vehicle?