Question About Anchoring Closed Bow Boat

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
This is probably a silly question, but I've never had a runabout like this before. What do most people do to anchor a closed bow boat with a windshield where you have no access to the bow? I don't have a picture of my boat handy, but the design is similar to the one pictured below.

I don't really want to mess up the bow with an ugly anchor winch with a button on the dash, so does that leave me with having to keep a rope over the windshield? I could anchor from the stern, but risk water breaking over the back of the boat.

I thought about having a short rope going from the bow to the cleat by the drivers side where I could clip on the anchor line, detach from the cleat and I'm anchored, but then I'll have to start the boat in order to angle around to reach the anchor line to pull it up again.

I know it's probably a noob question, but I haven't come up with a viable plan to anchor this thing. I've always had easy access to the bow where I could drop an anchor without any problems.

Or maybe I just need to do a double line anchor like what's pictured below?

1625148811343.png1625149715392.png

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Always anchor from the bow.
A wave might come and swap the boat, and even with the double line as shown could be an issue depending on weather, current and waves. When things happen it can happen faster then you can move

Find a way to get over the windshield

If your in a protected cove, should be able to anchor from the stern for a short time (your onboard or next to boat)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most of us climb over the windshield to set the anchor.

that is why there is non-skid on your bow in the picture

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
They have guide rollers that are mounted on the bow. They hold the anchor when not in use. You can run the anchor line back to the drivers position and cleat it there. When you want to anchor, uncleat the line and let the anchor drop from the guide rollers. Cleat it when sufficient scope of line has payed out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I thought about having a short rope going from the bow to the cleat by the drivers side where I could clip on the anchor line, detach from the cleat and I'm anchored, but then I'll have to start the boat in order to angle around to reach the anchor line to pull it up again.
Bingo....
Your pictured solution might work on a pond, but no way I'm anchoring a boat to bow sea if exposed to wind, waves or current.

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
most of us climb over the windshield to set the anchor.

that is why there is non-skid on your bow in the picture
Climbing over the windshield would be problematic, it's just a thin aluminum frame and too much weight in the wrong spot and I've ruined the frame. The picture is like what I have, not what I have. While I could add the no slip pads to the bow, I don't anticipate needing to be on the bow when in the water.

alldodge

Staff member
Take a line twice the length needed. Tie line to bow eye and about mid way tie a bowline (or bowline bight) and place a screw pin shackle on it. Tie off inside the boat.

When anchoring, drop anchor at the stern until desired needed. Now tie a bowline on a bight to the shackle and let the line out while holding onto the end of the bow line. Retrieve and untie when needed

anchor.jpg