Question about a MAP SENSOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

basscat348

Seaman
I have a 7.4 gsi volvo penta that I need a new map sensor for.Can I find one at a auto part store or do I have to use the volvo branded one?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Question about a MAP SENSOR

What makes you think they sell Volvo Marine parts at an autoparts store?

The 7.4 is a GM engine that was Marinized by Volvo.

Part of the Marinizing process includes Volvo fitting their own Marine EFI parts to a GM mechanical assembley.

The short answer, and the long answer, are the same... you have to get it from VP.

basscat348

Seaman

I didnt think they had volvo marine parts at an auto part store.The question was would an automotive map sensor work ? I guess I should have clarified it better for you.The standard gm map sensor is Identical to the one that is on the engine now.And for the second part of the question what makes volvos different than gm?I dont think there is any difference myself.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The question you should really be asking it "What value do I put on my family's life?" The sensors may be exactly the same (but you don't know), but are you willing to risk your life and that of your family to save a few dollars?

Even if they are the same, if you put a non-genuine sensor in and have a subsequent problem, and (god forbid) someone gets hurt. Even if that sensor had absolutely nothing to do with it, your insurance company has a legitimate reason to reject any claim.

Chris..........

basscat348

Seaman

You make a good point,but it is not about money.The volvo part is $112.00 and gm auto part is $63.00.I am just wanting to know what the difference is .
If know one knows then that's it then nobody knows just like me I dont know.I am not sure where the insurance thing and claims and people getting hurt came from but that could go for any part other than oem parts that may be put on an engine.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

It's going to be a toughie to figure out. Most manufactorers are not forthcoming about the individual OEMs of individual parts.

For example. The map sensor could be a delphi, a denso, and a hand full of others. But if you call VP, even as a dealer, chances are they won't tell you who it is. Your part may even be stamped with a manufactorer. If it is, and you call that manufactorer, they probably wont tell you if it's the same as an automotive application.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You make a good point,but it is not about money.

Glad to hear it...

basscat348 said:
The volvo part is $112.00 and gm auto part is $63.00.I am just wanting to know what the difference is.

The likelihood is that it is just someone else's part in a Volvo box. Finding out who that someone is, that's a whole different subject :D. And even if we knew, putting that sensor in, even if you have verified with the manufacturer, will do nothing to stop the insurance companies bugging out.

basscat348 said:
If know one knows then that's it then nobody knows just like me I dont know.I am not sure where the insurance thing and claims and people getting hurt came from but that could go for any part other than oem parts that may be put on an engine.

It does.... and it came from the string of threads we get here asking about putting auto parts on a marine engine.... Nothing personal against you....

Chris.........

wow...stupidest back and forth I've every read. The don't put auto on marine theory taken to the millionth degree. Do you even understand how a MAP sensor works? Is your theory that the auto spark plus with the same temp, gap, etc would also cause the boat to explode because it doesn't say V/P on the box...dumb dumb dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.