Question about a failed pressure test on alpha 1

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced my lower water pump assembly and bolter the two halves together. I figured why I had it on the bench I would make a pressure tester and just give it a quick test. Well, it turns out that the pressure drops to zero in about a minute. I used soapy water and could not find any bubbles but I thought I could smell gear oil by the prop-shaft. Even if I can locate where the leak is are the seals rather easy to change or do I have to take the outdrive apart? thanks

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Question about a failed pressure test on alpha 1

You could drain the gear oil, close it back up, pressurize it and then spray it with soapy solution to find bubbles. If that does not work you could pressurize it and dunk it in a tub.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no oil in it. Tomorrow I will make up some better soapy water and spend more time on it. When I drained the gear oil out of the unit there was no signs of water in it. Its just frustrating because I thought I could have it back together this weekend :mad::mad:

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It may be obvious but make sure the test rig is not leaking somewhere. When I made mine it took a few adjustments and tightening of clamps until the testing rig held air on its own. I stole the schrader valve idea form someone on the board here and used a bicycle pump. It worked fine on the drive and it held the pressure too.

cr2k

Captain

Are you testing just the lower? If so how are you sealing the oil passage (quad ring)?

Common places for leaks are: Shift shaft, Prop Shaft, Water pump base.
Come to think of it these are the only places for leaks other than the drain plugs.

Did yo try a vacuum test too? Some seals are installed to keep water out and some to keep oil in.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK I split the two halves and it is the shift shaft seal. Now what? I have not done any research, is this an easy fix?

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just searched a few things, is the special tool the only way to remove this? It is only 15$ but I wont be able to get it until next week. :mad:

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have any of you guys done this before?