Question about 3.0LX Rocker Cover

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine: 1995 Mercruiser 3.0LX s/n 0F365904

I have a question about a hose coming out of the rocker cover on my engine listed above. There is a small hole coming out of the top of the rocker cover that is about 1/4" in diameter on the port side. A hose was clamped to this opening and the other end of the hose was not clamped to anything.

Here are my questions:

1) Should the other end of this hose be clamped to something?

2) I am noticing some oil leaking around the clamped end of this hose on the rocker cover. The hose was very loose on that end. When I tried to tighten the clamp, it just squeezed the hose up and off of the fitting. Will oil from the engine leak out of this fitting/hole? After inspection of the hose, I think someone just cut a piece of a larger hose off and threw it on there. The proper hose looks like Merc. part # 32- 62060. Anyway, like I said, I'm more curious if this could be the source of my oil leak.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about 3.0LX Rocker Cover

I believe that goes from the valve cover to the flame arrestor of the carb.

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's no fitting on the flame arrestor that I can see for it

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You probably have a flame arrestor and bracket like the one pictured below. The hose slips over the end of the bracket.
You may also need a new hose and fitting in the valve cover if they are damaged or the wrong part.
You really shouldn't see a lot of oil or smoke from that hose. A little smoke is normal, but not a lot with oil.

Flame%20arrestor.png

MH9371B

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, that's exactly the one that I have. I'll try and find the correct hose (I believe the previous owner put a makeshift one on there) and see if that helps the oil leak. If not, I assume the Rocker Cover itself may need to have it's gasket replaced.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't assume anything, where is the oil leaking from??????
If it's leaking from the hose and fitting on top of the valve cover, putting a new valve cover gasket on is not going to fix the problem.