QL Trim Tab System????

180shabah

Rear Admiral
I have an 18' BR with a 4.3 V6 and alpha drive. Needless to say the boat is a little stern heavy. I do not have room on the transom for traditional tabs with the actuators mounted above the tab, and as stated on another thread I will never use another hydrofoil.

I found these "tabs" made by QL that are completely different in thier design. Instead of a hinged horizontal plane they use a retractable verticle plane. The physics makes sense, and they certainly fit my space constraints; but before I throw out a $600 guess, I would like to hear any feadback from any body who has used these.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: QL Trim Tab System????

they don't tell you much on there site, never heard of them.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

They have been on the market a couple of years now. Lots of discussion on their theoretical issues/merits on the various 'boards. But very, very few posts by boaters who actually have them. However, those owners who have responded have been very happy with them, no regrets. Dunno that they make any sized right for an 18' boat ....

Kelly Cook

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Thanks Kelly, I haven't found any actual users either. However, they do make them for boats as small as 15'

Coors

Captain

The way they are mounted, and the pressure against them, seems that a through bolt is needed. Those things don't give...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Thanks Kcook, so far it looks like the only negative comments have come from people who have never used them.