QD-17 Trouble?

OMCfan

Seaman
My motor mechanic passed away and I have a question about my 1956 QD-17. I test ran it to day and it ran fine, but...I noticed quite a bit of grease draining out of a small weep hole. The weep hole is located in the front bottom of the water pump housing area on the lower unit. I have not notice this before and granted I have little experience with these old gems, but is there something majorly wrong? I do know that the motor was in my mechanic' filthy oil saturated test tank for weeks as he was in the hospital until his passing.

Any help would be appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is normal drainage from the exhaust housing. Especially normal if running in a tank. It does not indicate a gearcase leak, but check the gear oil anyway, just as a normal maintenance item.

Sorry to hear about your guy's passing.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
It is actually good that the spent exhaust/cooling water/fuel/oil mixture IS coming out of there. They are often clogged. Then, in the winter, water pools in the cavity, freezes, and cracks the gearcase.

So, as FR stated, all is well. That is not to say you do not also have a gearcase leak of course, but not because of what you see there.

OMCfan

Seaman
Thank gentlemen, I will check the gear oil tomorrow. I added new before taking it to my mechanic and the old stuff looked good. No water. I dearly miss the old guy, he was a kind and great mechanic I will miss going down to his shop and handing him an Ice cold coke and shooting the breeze.