Q: How to bridge the gap between the deck and the sides

Using the original deck as the template I cut out the shapes and when laid in the hull, there is a decent sized gap between the edge of the deck and the hull. The original deck was not cut but had bondo and glass to bridge it so I was unable to see what the gap would be using them as the template for the new deck. The only thing that I can think of would be thin aluminum concave strips but wondered if anyone has suggestions on this.

[78 sea nymph 17' center console conversion w/ 85 hp suzuki]

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Q: How to bridge the gap between the deck and the sides

If it is a fiberglass boat, most people use Peanut Butter (mixture of cabosil and milled fibers) to bridge gap and then glass over it.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is a fiberglass boat, most people use Peanut Butter (mixture of cabosil and milled fibers) to bridge gap and then glass over it.

That is the correct way.

I used spray foam from Home Depot and then cut off the acsses and covered it with pl and glassed it over.
So far, she's held up great.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

a decent sized gap between the edge of the deck and the hull.

Let's talk about this. How large is this GAP that you speak of?? You are aware that you will need to tab the deck to the sides of the hull after the "GAP" has been filled??? I believe we need more information and PICS ALWAYS help us to help you. My signature has a link on how to post em.

redfury

Commander

Just about anything that is resin friendly can bridge the gap...foam, "peanut butter", short strand hairs mixed with marine body filler. You have to tab the edge anyway on a glass boat. If it's aluminum, then I'd use foam, cut it flush and then seal it with paint or something else if you plan to carpet the floor. Pics are going to be the best though, like Woodonglass pointed out...much easier than taking an educated stab in the dark.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Isn't this an aluminum hull 78? If so, the deck isn't attached to the hull sides typically and the gap is fine.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS a TINNER!!!!! I guess I NEED to read BETTER!!!! Yup no connection to the Hull sides needed. EZ you can SHOOT me NOW!!!!!:facepalm:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well in fairness, he certainly could connect it......but it would sqeak like heck!!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, buddy! I guess so!!!!!!

Yes, it is an aluminum. Here is a pic of the bow deck board in place to get an idea of the gap I am talking about. I also realized that I could use the old 5/8" HPDM workmats to cut into a strip to use as the border between the deck and the hull. I am sidelined right now due to my miller diversion 165 TIG not working correctly; I was using it to weld the bulkheads to the deck supports.

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2

lee324us

Recruit

it's kinda late since you already cut it, but a trick to cutting a deck is to make a template out of card board or some other thin yet stiff material.
You fit it to the boat and once you get what you want you use it to trace onto the wood for the deck, cut it and it will fit the way you like.
Now since you got it cut already , you may want to consider cutting the new peice in half then go ahead and remove an equal amount of wood from the inside edges of both pieces . Place the wood back in the boat , slide them to the `outer edges so that there is no gap at the edge and splice a piece down the center where the gap is now. This is not idea, but if your on a budget or out of wood, it's a fix using current material.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Isn't this an aluminum hull 78? If so, the deck isn't attached to the hull sides typically and the gap is fine.

Correct.....I wouldn't do anything to the gap...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Well if you planned to glass the deck/wood .. then do it just like you had before to bridge that gap.

I would fill that gap if it were mine..looks kinda dangerous..

Im not talking tabbing the wood to the hull of course ..

Trick: tape off the hull where you want the glass to stop..glass..just when its gelling up ( or slightly there after ) razor along that tape edge..peel the tape and any over glass hairs or resin with it. ( nice clean edge ;) ).

YD.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. For the cost of 2 ACX sheets (I can use the largest piece I cut for one of the smaller deck pieces to avoid buying 3 new sheets) I am just going to do it again and use cardboard to make accurate templates especially due to the fact that the gap may be larger once it is a little higher when sitting on the bulkheads. Is it common for such large gaps to be present on carpeted boats? I thought that I would be okay using the factory deck for the template but obviously that is not the case here.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

EZ is correct, Side panels and some trim piece's for the carpet and I think you could make do. It's up to you but... Something to think about.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am not putting carpet in this. Mostly using this for coastal fishing/spearfishing for white seabass and yellowtail here off of san diego. Before buying the panels I will be trying the awesome suggestion by lee324us!!! So all that is left is the deck, scraping the awl grip off of the inside of the hull, TIG welding the bulkheads to deck supports, installing the bulkheads, painting, installing the transom, helicoil the block on the 85 hp suzuk and replacing the headgasket and thermostat, mounting the motor, making the console, installing a gas tank, battery and dual bilge pumps, and then I can go fishing ;0)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry I forgot to mention that I am not putting carpet in this. Mostly using this for coastal fishing/spearfishing for white seabass and yellowtail here off of san diego. Before buying the panels I will be trying the awesome suggestion by lee324us!!! So all that is left is the deck, scraping the awl grip off of the inside of the hull, TIG welding the bulkheads to deck supports, installing the bulkheads, painting, installing the transom, helicoil the block on the 85 hp suzuk and replacing the headgasket and thermostat, mounting the motor, making the console, installing a gas tank, battery and dual bilge pumps, and then I can go fishing ;0)

That's it? So what are you going to do after lunch? Keep plugging away you'll get there.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What are you finishing the deck with if not carpet..

I still hold firm on my last post ( especially in light of the new info of not replacing carpet ) :) .

YD.