[Q] History on "Commander" boats made in British Columbia?

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone have history on "Commander" boats made in British Columbia? (Not a Chris Craft)

Specifically,

[Q] Does hull have any history of mfg problems? i.e. delamination, blisters, leaking, poor quality?

Considering engine rebuilds for the below hull:

John

mr 88

Commander
A qualified surveyor will answer your hull concerns. As noted ,the engines have a lousy history. Google orsearch the Mercruiser engine section on this site. If the price was right on the hull I would consider dropping a couple 4.3s in it , providing there is enough room for them. Second choice would be the classic Inline 6 chevy , donors would be harder to find but that engine had gobs of torque , runs smoothly at any rpm and is the same width as the dreaded 3.7.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Commander 30 and I haven't heard of any hull quality issues with these boats. Looks like a great boat to re-engine. Later versions came with single diesels. There is a Commander Rendezvous Facebook group you could join and ask there for info and suggestions.

roffey

Commander
I had a 3.7 in one of my boats,,, they don't make them any longer for a good reason.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They made that 4 cylinder in house.---They made them for a long time.----But they are not popular today.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
any 1988 boat should be considered a project. after 35 years, there will be structural issues.