Q/A

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
CCREW:<br /> (1) I have a volvo 270 outdrive<br /> (2) I made the boxes dim from the gunwale<br /> edge to the aisle 24" they are about<br /> 2" to 3" wider, then the original, so<br /> that I can scribe and fit to the boat<br /> as required.<br /> (3)about the stringer, if you look at the<br /> photos you will notice that the<br /> stringers stop short of the front there<br /> was a cross brace there. I don't know<br /> why they stop short, maybe the front<br /> floor and seat boxes is all they need<br /> for support ???? :( <br /> <br />JOEW94Th:<br /> (1) The peanut butter has a purpose, <br /> when I glass in the transom to the<br /> boat, and then drill the mounting<br /> holes they will be through the hard<br /> peanut butter and not through the<br /> wood. (that's where MAJOR ROT <br /> occurred) :)

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Q/A

"I don't know<br />why they stop short, maybe the front<br />floor and seat boxes is all they need<br />for support ????"<br /><br />Interesting. Mine go all the way to the very front. The cross-brace you refer to is present in mine, but was simply a support for the deck plies since that's where two met. I had joints at the front of the ski locker, the front of the gas tank, and right at the front of the rear seats at the engine compartment. <br /><br />I'd personally have an issue with the stringers not going all the way forward... seems as though that would be a high stress point where you'd want the support, but you may be safe in that the seating area in the bow does lend itself to a lot of the forward support. <br /><br />What year is yours and what length? I'm thinking that it may be a size difference in the boats. Shorten mine (19') by a foot or two and I can see where the support could indeed be changed...<br /><br />-Roger

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

CCREW:<br /> My boat is 1984 model 1950 capri its 18'10"<br /> overall lenght.

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, Mine's a 1987 1950 Capri, so we're dealing with the same boat 3 years apart...<br /><br />On mine, factory stringers are 1x6" yellow pine (?) 13" off center, and run all the way from transom to bow. they literally taper to a point at the very front. They were made in 2 pieces, with the points spliced in about a foot back from the front. They take a gradual taper from about 3' from the transom all the way forward. <br /><br />Going to my design however would entail you pulling the front seating, as there's no darn way (that I see) you'd be able to glass them in with the floor in place.<br /><br />I went with single piece 2x's as stringers, and am going to do away with the cross braces and the wedges that supported the floor inside the locker. They were all the points of my stringer rot. Instead I'm going to put a horizontal support from the bulkhead aft of the locker all the way to the front, and put 1/2" ply with the top flush with the top of the stringer. Depending on what deck thickness I then go with (5/8 or 3/4) it'll give an added 1/2 of thickness to the whole front floor from the back of the locker to about the middle of the front seats. I'll epoxy sandwich the ply's together and it'll actually give me 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 floor thickness in that area, which for us at least is high traffic. <br /><br />-Roger