PWC's on the ohio ideas

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey what opinions or thoughts are there on riding on the ohio down to the Mississippi from like Louisville or Evansville. My one seadoo I guess can go 80 miles on a tank we haven't bought the 2nd ski yet. Lots of variables still to work out. Just want to try something new. Been on lakes all my life last year we took in the intercoastal and the ocean. The river is much closer to home. I'm looking for ideas to try. I'd also thought about Lake Barkley. 20200905_191538.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Its doable, but remember going down takes less fuel then going back up on return trip.

Use to live in Louisville and have traveled from there down to pickwick MS and back by boat. Plan for the fuel stops and you will be good

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey what opinions or thoughts are there on riding on the ohio down to the Mississippi from like Louisville or Evansville. My one seadoo I guess can go 80 miles on a tank we haven't bought the 2nd ski yet. Lots of variables still to work out. Just want to try something new. Been on lakes all my life last year we took in the intercoastal and the ocean. The river is much closer to home. I'm looking for ideas to try. I'd also thought about Lake Barkley. View attachment 331137
I suggest cruising Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley before the Ohio River. Facilities and things to do are abundant. Not so much on the Ohio River. Also on the Ohio River, you’ll have locks to contend with and pleasure craft are the bottom priority for lockage.

If you decide the Ohio River is what you want to cruise, save yourself two to three locks (depending your Louisville starting place) and put in at Evansville. From there, it’s three locks and 190 miles to the Mississippi. From Louisville, it’s 380 miles and five or six locks.

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the Iboats map thing to try and plot this whole deal out. Am I reading this thing correctly? It shows the vast majority of that drive from Eville to the Tennessee at about 9ft deep.

I actually think we may be more for a Cumberland river lake barkley Tennessee River excursion. If I can get it right I'll only have about a 2hr trip between tow vehicles.

alldodge

Staff member
Its a good area to go thru, and the channel is 9 ft minimum and marked by the USCG. Either side of the markers (buoys) is less. Below Smithland lock and turning into the cumberland from the ohio is real shallow unless your well below the upper point where they come together

Remember "Red, right returning"
Keep the Red on your right when returning from the sea, and the Black on your left. So going down the ohio the reds are on your left. Turning into the Cumberland your now going up river so red is on your right.

smithland.jpg

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I got the Iboats map thing to try and plot this whole deal out. Am I reading this thing correctly? It shows the vast majority of that drive from Eville to the Tennessee at about 9ft deep.

I actually think we may be more for a Cumberland river lake barkley Tennessee River excursion. If I can get it right I'll only have about a 2hr trip between tow vehicles.
You’ll find much deeper water than 9’ on the Ohio and Cumberland Rivers. Once on Lake Barkley, it can get shallow when the water is drawn down to winter pool after Labor Day.

alldodge

Staff member
It can be shallow on KY and Barkley lakes even in the summer. Lots of rock and know how to read the markers. Must have a depth finder and go slow if unknown

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
It can be shallow on KY and Barkley lakes even in the summer. Lots of rock and know how to read the markers. Must have a depth finder and go slow if unknown
Added one with GPS last year when we went on the ocean. I figured with my wife and daughters bad sense of direction they could take a wrong turn and end up in Cuba.