Pvs vent holes on props ??? I don’t get it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You do know 2 pints of ale and one lass up front requires a different prop if you have 4 blokes in back

Change wind direction, or add 150mm of chop and you need another prop altogether

No such think as a perfect prop

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You do know 2 pints of ale and one lass up front requires a different prop if you have 4 blokes in back

Change wind direction, or add 150mm of chop and you need another prop altogether

No such think as a perfect prop

I’ve no doubt you’re not far wrong Scott. I can but try though.
Perhaps you’re only wrong on one thing. A pint of ale would only usually be asked for by an English man. God help the Scottish man who would be cursed with such a taste...haha. Or anything else to an English comparison!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I’ve no doubt you’re not far wrong Scott. I can but try though.
Perhaps you’re only wrong on one thing. A pint of ale would only usually be asked for by an English man. God help the Scottish man who would be cursed with such a taste...haha. Or anything else to an English comparison!

You chaps aren't for darts and "Bitters" are you? Spent a tour at RAF Upper Heyford, England. Pub was down the hill in Lower Heyford. Great sport but I took the Lager, couldn't stomach Bitters. Grin

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
There is no such thing as a 'perfect' prop. EVERY prop, no matter the design, pitch, or size, is a compromise. I ran a vented prop on a previous deck boat. Basically a big heavy barge with a 4.3l on it, but once it was up on a plane, it was nearly a flat bottom hull. In other words, it suited a vented prop really well. The vents helped kick the engine rpm up to get the tub moving, and once at cruise, it was past venting and the nearly flat bottom hull let a higher pitch prop get up to speed. Beyond initial takeoff, i didn't ever notice it was a vented prop, nor did it change my cruising RPM or efficiency. Like you mentioned, it is all about proper propping for the boat. It sounds like you didn't find a good vented prop for your test scenarios. I've had plenty of non-vented props that were horrible on boats, its all about matching and testing.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You chaps aren't for darts and "Bitters" are you? Spent a tour at RAF Upper Heyford, England. Pub was down the hill in Lower Heyford. Great sport but I took the Lager, couldn't stomach Bitters. Grin

Certainly not haha. That would be a very English thing. Lager all the way for me.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I just don’t like them at all really. Much prefer to get a well pitched prop or two for the use. I’ll never have the holes open, unless I come across a bass boat haha.