pvc pipe fitting repair/replace

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The condensate drain line on my ac/heatpump is a pvc setup which has a cracked tee that leaks. I want to replace the tee, but am unable to separate the pvc lines going to the tee. Otherwise, the whole pvc setup has to be replaced. Any suggestions?

one more cast

Captain
Re: pvc pipe fitting repair/replace

Its quite simple really, you just saw the fitting off with a hack saw a couple inches from the fitting or midway between two fittings and replace the tee with a new tee ,short peices of pvc lines and couplings and or unions.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Its a redneck rig but it will work, just so you are forwarned. Clean the area around the crack real well. Take your primer (purple stuff) and soak the area. Wait about 2 minutes and then put the glue into the crack and the area around it. I prefer to use the "HOT" glue as even in a pressure application you can use within minutes. This has worked for temp fixes many times, one is still about a year old on my inlaws house. I don't see any reason it wouldn't last forever on a drain.

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, guys , for the tips. I think I'll try the purple primer plug fix since it is easier, and then if it still leaks, I can replace the tee. The knowledge base on this website is great!

flashback

Captain

try some 5 min. epoxy putty, it works!.....

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to let you know that Kenneth Brown's "redneck trick" worked like a champ! Two days of condensate flow and no leak. Thanks again for all the inputs.