Putting Transom Back Together

drwgblanks

Seaman
Hello again fellow IBoater's. I have the 1977 19.5 Aquasport with I/O. I am now finishing up cleaning the transom. I'm ready to buy wood and resin. So here's the questions. I have found marine ply at $70 per sheet an hour away. I have also found ac fir ply at $54 per sheet right up the road. Which one?

Second, I'm going to use polyester resin to save money. Anybody think I should stop now and rethink? What layering schedule should I follow to give me a 2" thick transom? Outer skin, mat, 3/4 ply, mat, 3/4 ply, mat, woven?

Last, I tried to save the old wood for the cutout but didn't succeed. Any ideas on how to cut the new hole for the alpha 1 gen 2? The old motor that came out was the alpha 1. The outer skin is intact with the hole. Do I just stick a jig saw in there at a 90 degree angle and follow it??? And if it slips or I drill a hole wrong......simply fill the mishap with glass???? That's my biggest fear.

Please someone help soon, I'm ready to get this transom finished. Drum season is knocking on my door.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Putting Transom Back Together

Get the Alpha 1 Installation Manual #90-42234--5 186.
(from my manual) You can get the template from your Mercruiser dealer Part#90-79135 or buy/rent/borrow a drill fixture part #91-71024A2.
Should help.
Also see Gary H NC 's great boat and seacast thread a look. You may save some grief and cash.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Nova, thanks for responding. I was trying to save some money, that thing is exxxxpensive. I actually think I've figured out a way to do it. I also saved the inner skin. But only the piece that was in the engine compartment. Anyway, I saw Gary's project and it turned out great. However, I've already cut everything out, so the Seacast is a no go. I just really need to know where to start with rebuilding this thing as far as schedules and wood. Any tips would be appreciated.

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used PT wood in the past, after i get it cut and mocked up i like to coat it down with resin and let it hardin befor i install it. I was curiuse what any1s feelings where on this. I think it would help keep the water out of the wood.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Mike, I have been researching this for a while. It seems that most people frown on PT wood unless it has been dried thorougly. And it seems as if "thoroughly" takes months. I would like to know...between marine and ac fir, which one should I get considering how far I have to drive + the cost difference for the marine, if it was really worth the PIA. I'm a paint contractor, and knowing what I know about painting treated ply before it's dry, I think I'd just rather steer away from it. I'm sure what you did will hold up well though.

banjoport

Cadet

Difference between Marine and AC ply is voids. Marine has none. Moisture content is always a question and is a judgement call. Always be sure that wood is sealed from moisture incursion or rot will surely follow. This means any holes drilled or edges exposed.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Thanks, I think I'll just go with the ac fir. So nobody has any tips on the layup schedule to get 2"?

pete21

Cadet

I just recently purchased a project boat 14' starcraft the transom needs to be replaced. After talking with many carpenters they suggested using advantac flooring material although it is a manufactured wood product they say it is bullet proof I'm going to try it on my transom. because it is pressed there are no voids although it may not be as good a marine grade it is far better than regular plywood. it also helps that I was able to get scrap off the job site big enough for my project

ricksrster

Commander

The fixture you need for the cut out is part # 91-43693A2.

drwgblanks

Seaman

Thanks Rickster, however, those things are expensive. The old outter skin is still intact. I think I'm just going to use a jig saw to cut the hole through the new wood, etc, then hold the assemblies up and try my best to drill straight.