Putting Leaf Springs on Trailer

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just recently bought a boat to restore, and the trailer is going to need some restoring to it as well. The trailer mostly just needs new wires, and a nice fresh paint job thankfully. Now I was wondering if when I do some work to this trailer if I should put leaf springs on the trailer or not. I have a 1984 Ebbtide Riviera that sits on top of the trailer. What do you think about putting the springs on the axle?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Putting Leaf Springs on Trailer

What kind of springs does it have now?

We may need a picture.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a picture of the leaf springs that are on it. I've also thought about adding trailer brakes as well to the trailer.

IMG_0231.jpg

This is the best picture that I could get of it since the boat is still on the trailer.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never done any kind of work to a trailer before like this so it's all new to me, and I'm just going to stay confused for a while. lol

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why do you feel you need new springs? if any leafs are broken, then yes, replace that spring. If it's not broken, there is no need to replace them.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about doing the trailer breaks then?

The leaf springs seem to be in good shape. I'll have to take a good look at the other side though. That is only the left side.