Putting a larger than rated motor on boat?

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class
Say a boat is rated for a 60 hp? if i put a 90 horse on it, and the game warden or coast guard checks me out, do they check the motor and what is rated as to what you can have on the boat? can you get in trouble in anyway there?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Putting a larger than rated motor on boat?

You sure can get in trouble! Unfortunately when that happens you will probably be the only boat around.<br /><br />Good luck! You'll need it!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can do anything you want to until you get caught.<br /><br />Direct from the Coast Guard site: http://www.uscgboating.org/mf/mf_faq.asp#Q12 <br /><br />There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order. We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat.<br /><br />Local ordinances and insurance rules ares usually tighter. If you are asking the question of this nature then you must be new to boating. I would not do it nor do I advise you to do it. Whet the transon rips away or the hull cracks from stem to stern PLEASE don't take anyone with you. <br /><br />Bob

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wait until you are in accident, and the insurance companies find out you over-powered the boat. That gets your insurance company off the hook, allowing you to be personally sued for reckless negligence. Don't let this happen to you!

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figure JB would be on the soapbox by now...<br /><br />I'm overpowered and I know lots of people that are overpowered but....<br /><br />Insurance is a problem.<br />It's not legal in my state, but maybe Tx OK??<br />I had to reinforced the transom to take it.<br />Just use your judgement on whether your boat will be safe enough at 55 instead of the 45 it was intended for.<br /><br />BTW my next boat is going to be over 20 feet so I don't have to worry about the first two issues.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

IN FLORIDA....overpowering is legal and insurance is NOT a problem. Key words in Florida statute is "....GROSSLY overloaded or overpowered...." Overpowering in Florida is a common occurance and I have never in my 35 years of boating and marine work have EVER heard of anyone "tagged" for overpowering. Check your local state laws.....and make sure your boat is strong enough and has enough freeboard to do what you want.

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had the large float boxes welded on and it planes out real nice! it is only a 16 foot weldcraft, and its only me usually and maybe one other person. im in texas, i think i could get away with a little bit more speed.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I called the Texas Parks and Wildlife office about this as I'm getting a boat from my parents. It is rated for max 15hp and it has a 25hp. He said that was a recommendation and that if approached, I would not be cited, however he mentioned a safety issue. In my case, he stated that my boat rated for 15hp will be ok with 25, just be careful. He said there could be a liability issue if anyone was injured since the boat is overpowerd.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thanks Kelton. This is a topic that's been discussed here for a long time. We don't know about the rest of the states but we DO know the Texas and Florida laws.<br />Good job.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Truth be known we don't care in VT!! "Run what you brung"<br /><br />Me??? Sure I have overpowered a boat and did some crazy reckless things in my life. It's a miracle I have made it this long.<br /><br />Maybe with age and experiance comes good old common sense. I can not personally endorse or advise anyone to try any reckless or dangerous venture. Within my 20 year military career I had made some hard decisions that put people at risk. I am no longer in that capacity.<br /><br />I guess my conscience gets the better of me. Do you want to overpower???? go ahead just don't put anyone else at risk. <br /><br />Bob