purred like a kitten....yea right

Here is original posted info on buying this boat.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008948#000000 <br /><br />Anyway, picked the boat up after the mechanic did the said work. He said it purred like a kitten. We put it in the water last weekend, and idle was about 4000 RPMs. The only way we could get it down, was to "choke" it. That was not good because the lake we were in was "idle only". We called the mechanic, he said bring it by and he would take a look. He originally suggested maybe a crinked cable or something. I went to pick it up from him, hoping for good news. Idle still at 4k. The problem, the crank halves are sealed together with the wrong type of sealant and has an air leak because of that. He said if he idled it lower, that it would not run. I asked him to do it anyway, he did, It would idle for 30 secs or so, then start to cut out, but I could keep it running with the trottle lever. I told him to leave it like that, because that seemed better than trying to choke it down, and throw it into gear. Make sense? Please give me your thoughts.

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: purred like a kitten....yea right

First,did they seal the crank halves?I did't reread the old post. If they did the work then they are responsible.<br />If you leave it this way,with an air leak ,you will burn a piston or destroy the entire powerhead .<br />fix it fix it right <br /><br />Rich

Re: purred like a kitten....yea right

No they did not do it...he said it was done previously. I was hoping it could be something else. Just seemed odd....When he completed other work, it started and ran great. We put it in the water for the 1st time, and 4k idle. So the "leak" started between his shop, my house and the lake. The fix is 8 hours worth of repairs.