purple hearts

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
whats the opinion on the revocation of the 11 soldiers that had their purple hearts revocked? is it any less to be in a traffic accident in a war zone while doing duty in a combat area or does it just count if ya stop a bullet? and what if it was friendly fire?<br />I dont agree with it myself. if the accident occured in a combat zone while supporting combat ops ya get the medal. and I feel terrible for those people. my disability is service connected and now theirs will be too. so far I have fought the VA for some years and have had to resort to hiring an attorney. next time ya buy the ribbon look for the other one that says support your vets.<br />so now even more people will find out the myth of the govt taking care of you if your a disabled vet.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: purple hearts

I dunno the details rodbolt. and I would be the first to bend over backward for the GI, but if it was an auto accident not related to combat I don't think they should get a purple heart. <br /><br />I am open minded however, not sure what the rules are.

JRJ

Commander

My father in law just passed away at 85. He was 100% disabled since he recieved some "Korean Treatment" as he called it, during 33 months as a POW in Korea then China. He felt he was given excellant care by the VA. He had purple hearts from WWII as well as Korea. I have the greatest respect for vets. There are many ways to be injured while serving. Non combat injuries should be judged case by case. I hope the VA steps up for you. Good luck.

bubbakat

Captain

rodbolt I to have been fighting the gov. for my health assistence for problems I received in Nam.<br />To this day no avail.<br />They will lie to you about as bad as as the come.<br />I would still give my life for my country though.<br />I haven't heard about the revoaction of the purple hearts but you can rest assured I will research it.<br />Just hope I can find the facts as they are not what they want us to see.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Don't know the info on this but..."the road to America's freedom is paved with Purple Hearts."<br /><br />My Dad has two from 82nd in Viet Nam.

gaugeguy

Captain

If I was one of those 11 soldiers, I would not have even accepted the medal. It is for injuries sustained in combat from enemy fire. Sure accidents happen in support of combat, but those accidents do not rate the PH. Those boys are still going to recieve lots of chest lettuce. Of all the medals I have, I am most thankful that none of them are purple.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

gaugeguy is 100% correct - I, too, would not have accepted Purple Heart if I were one of those 11. Of all the people I've served with, I don't know a single man or woman who would have. Like GG - I'm darned glad the PH is not among mine either.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree, the PH is for wounds received during combat. During my time in service saw action, but since I was in the navy the enemy was shooting at the ship and not me :D . I am thankful there was no PH on my chest.

KRS

Banned

Our military is full of lots of people that don't shoot guns at the enemy. They are, however integral to the success or failure of a mission.<br /><br />I don't know the details of this car accident.... were they on leave and boozing it up or did the CO order them to go into town and pickup 12 cases of oil for a re-supply vehicle?<br /><br />My buddy (USMC) was parachuting into a combat area, but a guy in his team tripped on the way out of the plane, pushed my buddy causing his shoulder to hit the edge of the ramp. Broke is shoulder, missed his LZ, spent 4 days in hostile enemy territory separated from his squad, cut his parachute cords with his knife when on the ground. After he was extracted and medically discharged.... the gov't sent him a bill for the parachute cords and denied him medical coverage for the injury.<br /><br />It too took a lawyer and $$$ to fight, but he won.

KRS

Banned

I missed my opportunity to say "Thank You" to those in this post who have served or are serving our Country, thank you for your sacrifice.

eeboater

Commander

I gotta agree -- they were serving our country. They were in a combat zone. Who's to say that someone couldn't have come up and put a bullet in them while they were sitting in that accident? They all have equal risk. HOW they are injured doesn't matter. <br /><br />Well, unless you're John Kerry shooting yourself :D <br /><br />Sean

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

my understanding is at least one soldier was a passenger in a combat night support mission running with no lights and collided with another vehicle(tank so they say so far) and was severly ingured and the driver killed. I hope the news will continue to investigate. if it was at a party in korea orsomething then no. if it was running supplies communications or other battle related functions at night with no lights then yes. if you have never tried night vision gogges and manuvered with them you will understand. talk about impaired vision. aint nothing like what the show at the movies.

gonfishn

Commander

I think the Purple Heart in the beginning was mean't for those wounded during actual combat operations..<br />Since WW1 the PH stood for actual wounds such as a bullet or Shrapnel incurred during a combat situation..<br /><br />I have two both recieved during combat operations..Another time I was blown out of jeep from a mine of which I did not get one nor did I expect one..Personnaly I would be Embarrassed if A general gave me a PH from an accident Imo..<br /><br />Bottom line is that my two ribbons and a buck would get me a cup of coffee today..<br /><br />I am sure there are other vets here that have recieved the PH and feel the same but just aren't speaking up here..

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by gonfishn:<br />Bottom line is that my two ribbons and a buck would get me a cup of coffee today..
Not at Starbucks, Doc ;) <br /><br />They'll get you something else though, respect from those who have "been there", and that is worth more than a cup of coffee.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

News this morning, two local boys killed in separate incidents in which homemade bombs struck the vehicles they were riding in. My point being that maybe the roads in Iraq are combat zones & if you're in a vehicle, well there you are. Just a thought, don't really know if it makes sense in this context.<br /><br />BTW bubbacat, don't give up, my Uncle Larry just last year was awarded disability due to injuries from exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam.

gaugeguy

Captain

http://www.purpleheart.org/explanation.htm <br /><br />Quote from the above...<br /><br />"The PURPLE HEART is awarded to members of the armed forces of the U.S. who are wounded by an instrument of war in the hands of the enemy and posthumously to the next of kin in the name of those who are killed in action or die of wounds received in action. It is specifically a combat decoration."<br /><br />I believe those boys will recieve the PH, JT.

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey, if John Kerry can proud of his PH's, then let these boys kee theirs. I doesn't diminish what the medal stands for.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) If you are in a combat zone, with all your combat gear on and go out to a shanty town and visit a hut of ill repute, you run out of the hut, trip, and you have a simple fracture of the shin bone, would you exspect to get a "Purple Heart"???!!!! ;) :cool: