Purchasing outboard online

hydrojohn

Cadet
Been studying this forum and have convinced myself that a Tohatsu 8 HP 4 stroke long shaft outboard will be just fine for a kicker on my Lund 1700 Fisherman. It would appear that the best price is buying it online at onlineoutboards.com. I did see a reference on one post about being cautious on buying outboards online because the warranty may not be validated. Any true to that? Have others had good experience with onlineoutboards.com purchases? Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Purchasing outboard online

You could contact them and ask all about your worries and have a straight back answer.

Happy Boating

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If they are a factory authorized distributor there is no reason to suspect the warranty. Getting a local shop to do warranty work on a motor bought elsewhere to save a couple of bucks is a different issue.

limitout

Banned

Been studying this forum and have convinced myself that a Tohatsu 8 HP 4 stroke long shaft outboard will be just fine for a kicker on my Lund 1700 Fisherman. It would appear that the best price is buying it online at onlineoutboards.com. I did see a reference on one post about being cautious on buying outboards online because the warranty may not be validated. Any true to that? Have others had good experience with onlineoutboards.com purchases? Thanks

I was told by my local dealer that any motor that isn't purchased and "prepped" by an authorized dealer will void the warranty because by law all motors are shipped and come dry with no fluids in them so they cant leak anything and be a hazard to the environment. when you buy it the dealer must do the oil fills with the manufacturers specified fluids and test the motor for proper lubrication and function. after this is done it cant be shipped after this process because it contains "contaminents".

basicly he said it was so some idiot didn't forget to put oil in the crankcase or in the lower unit or something and destroy a brand new motor and want it fixed for free. he said any warranty repair done on that motor will be denied unless there is a record of it being "dealer prepped" AND "break in" service done after its been run a little bit.

talk to your local dealer and ask then if you brought a new motor to them still in the crate (I assume it is) if they could do the dealer prep to validate the warranty so its covered. if he says no then you know where you stand, part of the cheap price is because you have no warranty and are you willing to risk it for the money you save?

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

while I'm the first one to save money, there is a lot of value in having a good relationship with a good marine shop--and that comes from buying motors from them. not just havnig them do some small stuff. So unless you don't live near a good shop, I'd consider "buying local."
You can always say, "I can get this motor on line but I'd rather spend a little more and have you check it out; what's your best price on a X motor?" You may be surprised.

limitout

Banned

while I'm the first one to save money, there is a lot of value in having a good relationship with a good marine shop--and that comes from buying motors from them. not just havnig them do some small stuff. So unless you don't live near a good shop, I'd consider "buying local."
You can always say, "I can get this motor on line but I'd rather spend a little more and have you check it out; what's your best price on a X motor?" You may be surprised.

very true, some shops will cut commission to the bone to get your business because it moves stock out of their warehouse and gets them more service business. not saying how close they will come close to matching the price if at all but you never know and I wouldn't want to be without the warranty on a new motor, just too many things that can go wrong and it has no history of trouble free service like a used motor might.

hydrojohn

Cadet

I am not opposed to buying locally if that was an option, however if I want to buy the Tohatsu I am going to have to travel 300 miles to a dealer and then I am wondering how will I be transporting it home if it is full of fluids in order to validate the warranty. I know Cabelas's sells boat motors and I have my doubts they service them, unless they have some agreement with a dealership in their community.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The warranty is valid if you buy it online and ALL authorized dealers for that brand are required to perform warranty service if needed. The engines all come with gear oil in them, but you do need to add the oil to the crankcase before use. The engines are all test run before being crated at the factory so it is unnecessary to have a dealer test run them again.

scallop

Cadet

to: limitout, I realize by your quote " the only dumb question is one you don't ask" so here goes. I know what oil in the crankcase or lower unit is but what does "or something" mean"?

Last edited: