Pulse Port (two?) on 1990 E150STLESB V-6

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman
I have purchased a replacement VRO 2 pump for the one that was on my motor. The one that I had on the motor was a 1985 vintage VRO pump with no wires. The old pump had a broken fuel outlit fitting and was unusable. The part number was 174425 which is not that important. The new pump is a 5004558 which I understand is a universal fit and it has a 4 wire electrical connector that I will not use. The fittings on it are fixed and cannot be moved around to point in the proper directions to mate up with the old plumbing. I have been cobbling new lines (especially the fuel outlet) and had to set the pump back about an inch and reverse the the starter solenoid but everthing seemed to be mating up OK until I looked at the pulse port fittings. When I got to the pulse line I found that the pulse inlet fitting on the bottom of the pump was not placed for an easy connection to the pulse port on the lowest cylinder of the crankcase. However I did notice that there was a capped port just above the port on the lowest cylinder of the crankcase which appears to be a pulse port connection connected with the middle cylinder on pump side of the V-6. I found that if this was a pulse port I could use that port to plumb the inlet pulse fitting if I moved the cap to the lower pulse port I used previously and connected my pulse line and pulse limiter from that upper port. The schematic of the crankcase on a web site ********** suggests there is a port there and it has a threaded port plug. My motor actually has a duplicate threaded fitting with a rubber cap that is clamped. Question: Can I move the cap to the port on the crankcase on that bottom port and use the similar looking port on that middle cylinder as a source for pulse pressure? I believe I can.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pulse Port (two?) on 1990 E150STLESB V-6

the new pump is a 5004558 which I understand is a universal fit
If it is a true 5004558 pump it should have torx screws holdimg fittings in place, just loose and turn correct direction, if nipples are fixed its not the new style pump.

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman

If it is a true 5004558 pump it should have torx screws holdimg fittings in place, just loose and turn correct direction, if nipples are fixed its not the new style pump.

Hmm... you have me wondering now. I derived that identification somehow the other day and convinced my slef this pump would actually work for an Evinrude V-6 150 engine. It might be something that predates the 5004558. The fittings on this pump are all most definitely fixed and cannot be removed or loosened and turned to the correct direction. As I described I am configuring the powerhead plumbing to match the pump! I know it's a tough way to do it but it was this or buy a new pump at close to $400. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this pump will actually work at least on the fuel side. If so I will pre-mix if the oil pump side turns out to be broke.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

These VRO pumps are generally identical except for the fittings. Your pump is not the latest 2013 version. Your pump is actually the earlier verson of the current pump 5007420. It is the correct pump for your application. I note the factory parts book lists an additional conversion kit for the 1985 engines, part number 175225. Do not know what that kit is. (maybe a hardware kit.) Also, the 84-86 crossflow engines need a new bracket 331122 to provide clearance for the new pump's "no oil" circuitry. These crossflow V6 blocks are all made with dual pulse ports for the early dual fuel pumps. The VRO pumps only use one of the two ports. You can use either port.

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman

Great! I thought so but wanted some confirmation My engine is identified as a 1990 powerhead so from what you say it is a V-6 crossflow and earlier versions had two pumps and two pulse ports. Mine is set up for a VRO and I am shifting things around to get this different version pump plumbed. I did not want to modify the bracket and the mixed fuel outlet was interfering with the bracket so I moved the pump back an inch using longer mounting hardware (3 two inch stainless steel 10-24 screws with stop nuts) to hold the pump. I can use that pulse port from the middle cylinder to enter the pulse inlet port on the pump with the two 90 degree rubber elbows and pulse limiter I had from the installation of the other pump. I should be able to get the rebuilt carbs back on in the next day or so and prove it works (or not). I have premix in a 6 gallon tank for the function test and the temperature will be in the 80's. Getting near time to fish.