Pulpit repair

ssn756

Seaman
I planned on cutting up some pressure treated wood and installing but then I ran into this

bdd4080d.jpg

Don't quite know what it is but it's the next layer over the wood before everything was caulked in looks like it was used to form the contour(i'm no expert).

Also want to know what was or is used to seal the bolt holes? what was in there is still pliable and I think did a decent job.

the whole reason i even went into this thing is because I noticed this

b6c0d5ce.jpg

and this thing is pretty heavy most likely water logged.

another shot of the stuff that's pretty hard and brittle.

2767c7aa.jpg

ssn756

Seaman
Re: Pulpit repair

Is that piece I'm holding in the first picture resin? If it is I'm sure I can build that back up.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

It looks like some kind of filling compound ( not just resin ) .. kinda like a putty.

Its hard to tell from your pics but it does seem to be used for a solid form fit for the pulpit.

YD.

ssn756

Seaman

It bonded pretty well to the wood and even pulled some strands away from the glass when removed.

The wood was built up as far as it could go and then this compound was used to take up the remaining space.

Can I just use some resin with filler to do the same?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I dont see why not.. just add some chopped up mat in your mix to make it less brittle..

YD.

G

ssn756 I to have the same problem with the pulpit on my boat and need to repair/replace the wooden interior part of it. If it is as easy as you say it was maybe I just might tackle mine as well.

ssn756

Seaman

I dont see why not.. just add some chopped up mat in your mix to make it less brittle..

YD.

Will do

ssn756 I to have the same problem with the pulpit on my boat and need to repair/replace the wooden interior part of it. If it is as easy as you say it was maybe I just might tackle mine as well.

sure wish you would've started yours already, then I'd have something to go by. Oh well I'm not that lucky.......Here we go FULL STEAM AHEAD.

ssn756

Seaman

Ok just got done pulling apart the underside and it was bad but not as bad as I thought it would be. All the wood was soaking wet and made the pulpit weigh 3 times more than it should. the wood looked like it was 3/8 or 1/2 i'll figure that out later but it was stapled together and a hole routed through the topmost piece(depends on your perspective) for the wiring to the port/stbd light.

Here's my plan:

install new wood(sealed in epoxy) in a smaller piece than what was in there.
I want the new epoxy to fill the gap and bind the wood to the old stuff.

incase the the finished product in epoxy with filler just as before.

I'd like to find brass or copper pipe to put in all the bolt holes, in an effort to keep it all sealed, can't remember what it's called, somebody here mentioned it in reference to a transom.

a17af9cc.jpg

I cut along the edges not quite knowing what to expect. It came apart fairly easy, I think the damp wood had a lot to do with it.

3da2c24a.jpg

I don't plan on running the navigaiton light wiring inside the pulpit again. I think there's more of a chance for this all to happen again.

48c2d65a.jpg

After stripping away all the wood. if you look at the edges they are pretty defined because this thing looked to have been made over the wood. which is why I plan on leaving the gap and let the epoxy bond the new wood to the old epoxy.

ffa92597.jpg

BTW am I over thinking by using epoxy or will polyester have the same effect?