Pulling out my hair!

Joeb01

Recruit
I'm sure it's been asked but I can't find it. I have a 1990 mercury 150xr4 with no spark on any cylinder. Checked all kill switches new coil packs wires and plugs. Spun flywheel magnets loose and repaired with new magnets. Check ohms on stator trigger and rectifier. Stator and rectifier shows good . Trigger reads good on 1 set of wires but bad on the other 2. Would that cause no spark on any cylinder? Any help would be much appreciated n

James R

Commander
Resistance checks can fool you. You will need to check the voltage outputs from the Stator and the trigger. Disconnect the Stator wires that go to the rectifier and see if that makes any difference. If not then do the Voltage checks. You will need a test meter and a digital to analog convertor to convert the pulse voltages into DC to measure with the test meter. It helps if you have a manual. If the voltages show good then the power pack is blown.

Joeb01

Recruit
Resistance checks can fool you. You will need to check the voltage outputs from the Stator and the trigger. Disconnect the Stator wires that go to the rectifier and see if that makes any difference. If not then do the Voltage checks. You will need a test meter and a digital to analog convertor to convert the pulse voltages into DC to measure with the test meter. It helps if you have a manual. If the voltages show good then the power pack is blown.
Thanks

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I checked an replaced nearly all of the electrical components on mine and the problem was a bad ground for two of the coils. I had to jump a new ground wire to the bolt that those two coils were grounded to.