Pulling Jet Ski Behind my Boat Trailer

nrladeere

Seaman
I am toying with converting my boat trailer to pull a ski behind my 21' Chris Craft. I have seen several on the road set up like this and would like opinions and set ups. My plan is to extend a beefy piece of angle back past the outdrive to attach a ball and light hookup for the jet ski trailer. This would be conveinient when taking the boat and ski. I will have to unhook the si and launch separately, but still it would save me a lot of hassle. <br />Anybody done this already?

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Pulling Jet Ski Behind my Boat Trailer

This is illegal in Oregon and I think there may be a reason for it! I have seen this sort of thing in other state though! I can see why you might want to try it! I doubt if you could see it back there behind your boat and that would bother me!!<br /><br />Good Luck!! :eek: <br /><br />LubeDude

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is illegal in NC too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Illegal in most states.<br />Some states allow it, with a special drivers license.<br /><br />I have seen extra long trailers, which allow loading of 1-4 skis, and a boat.<br />Also seen a trailer which holds 2 18' bass boats, one above the other.

tylerin

Commander

nrladeere, Why not put the ski above the boat that can winch down on a "slide' or have a boom setup

nrladeere

Seaman

I may look at putting it above the boat, but this is a problem as I store it inside and the boom won't clear. This is also going to be a very involved and expensive option. Contrary to earlier posts it is not ILLEgal in most states, in fact it is legal in most states most importantly mine! As I am only 20 miles from the lake on an interstate I still think I will set it up to tow double. I will want to see the trailer so I will look into a camera system. I will let you know how it works out.

rivercat49

Seaman Apprentice

I saw a good article in trailer boat magizine on setting up a double decker arangement you might want to check out.

jpbaker

Seaman

nrladeere; I have seen a set-up in my area that have the boat/jet ski combo on one trailer. What I have seen is it had extended trailers with the jet ski in front of the power boat on a platform mounted sideways on the trailer. don't know if was just a special rig or they ordered it from somewhere, sure got my attention though.

WoodsJ

Cadet

I own a 5-wheel travel trailer and have a rear hitch on it to tow my boat. One thing to take in mind is I have towed many different trailers with this set-up, I have found the smaller the rear trailer the squirreler it is, This might be a factor for you. Some things to consider are: The strength of the rear cross member and will the boat hit this contraption when coming off the trailer. I have mine set-up with a class III hitch welded to the frame, then I use an extended receiver to get the ball out past the rear of the trailer. You could weld the hitch under your rear cross-member, this way your ball could be removed for loading and unloading your boat. If I remember right walmart should have everything you need.

bolted4

Seaman Apprentice

What kind of vehicle are you towing with? I have seen pickups that have a setup to hold jut ski

Boatist

Rear Admiral

It is legal in California also but there is a max length, minumin tow truch weight and does require and higher class driver licence.<br /><br />At boat shows have seen many lift that mount to your trailer and lift and swing the PWC up above the stern area or all the way up on the bow area. They work great but are pricey.