Pulling Engine, remove outdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repostyle

Cadet
Hey all,

First post here, just bought a 1990 21' Chris Craft Concept Bowrider 197. It's got a bad chevy 305 with an OMC outdrive. Do I need to pull the outdrive to pull the motor? Also, can I pull the motor with the flywheel housing on, or does that stay in the boat? If the outdrive stays on, does it matter if it's up or down?

I have no manuals, but I've pulled a lot of engines and tranny's in cars and trucks, even replaced an engine in a SeaDoo, but never a boat so I'm a little unfamiliar with the process.

I've got the front of the motor stripped already and everything disco, and it looks like it's ready to come out, is it as simple as just sliding it forward and then lifting?

Going to pull the motor one way or another tomorrow so hoping for some fast simple answers :eek:

JupiterJoe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Pulling Engine, remove outdrive?

Pull the Drive (put shifter in forward) yes you can pull bellhousing at the same time

Repostyle

Cadet

Pull the Drive (put shifter in forward) yes you can pull bellhousing at the same time

Okay, I know I said simple answers, but I meant simple terms LOL. I'm a "why" kind of guy.

Pulling the drive so the engine will come out easier, or so it will come out at all? And what does putting the shifter in forward do?

MRS

Commander

Okay, I know I said simple answers, but I meant simple terms LOL. I'm a "why" kind of guy.
And what does putting the shifter in forward do?

Not for a omc maybe a merc. Pull outdrive for room to get motor out and not ruin any parts outdrive will come off easy.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Shifter in forward is for a Merc Alpha. If this is an OMC Cobra, leave it in NEUTRAL. Removing the drive is easy, you remove the nuts holding on the trim rams to the crossbar, slide them off, remove the 6 nuts holding on the drive and rock it off, be careful it's about 90 lbs. I built a stand to make it easy.

to get the engine out, the driveshaft has to come out of the coupler. It may be possible to pull the engine foward off of the driveshaft but its much easier and safer to pull the drive off, takes all of 15 min.

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 6
  • cobra 2.jpg
    cobra 2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 6

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, like they said, pull the drive. It has a driveshaft that enters to a coupler on the "bellhousing"

Not sure on the OMC stuff, but on volvo, pull the drive, unhook all the wires-two plugs for the trim pump, main engine harness, and one or two others. Unhook the power steering hoses on the steering cylinder, unhook the gas line.

Pull the two rear bolts out, and then take off the motor mount nuts on the side mounts.

I like to leave the engine mounts in the boat, because it's easier to get the motor mounts out of the boat, after the engine is out.

Pull your motor.

I've pulled TONS, and last time I did it, it took about 20 minutes.:D

You'll need a 9/16 socket and U joint in 3/8 drive, and a 7/16 wrench and 1/4 drive ratchet and 7/16 socket to remove the drive.

A 15/16 for the side motor mount nuts, and a 3/4 deep well socket for the rear motor mount nuts.

Repostyle

Cadet

So follow up question, do any gaskets or seals get damaged during the removal of the outdrive that need to be replaced when it goes back on? Also, is there anything that should be inspected or serviced while it's off?

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes. You need a kit that has the gasket where the drive meets the transom and it has some o rings and stuff in it too.

You can get the kit for about $10 though.

zbnutcase

Commander

Sierra 18-2613, Outdrive Gasket Set

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Pull the drive. Why make it tough on ya?.. It is cake.. Plus it will make it where you can look at the bellows and u joints.. You can buy that gasket kit on e bay for a little over 4 bucks...

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

You've got all the details on pulling the drive and the engine. As was said, it's not that difficult. Hardest part is finding an engine hoist which lifts high enough to clear the back of the boat! Get yourself some manuals; one for the drive and one for the engine. If you start looking, you may find them as free downloads on various sites. Try here, on Chaparral Owners foum, or on SeaRay Owners forum. If all else fails, buy them. You'll need an engine alignment tool as well. It's really just a cylindrical steel bar cut to various diameters, but it is absolutely necessary to prevent tearing up your coupler. Try eBay for that. Hy

Repostyle

Cadet

Didn't need a hoist. Had a forklift, motor came right out no problems, once I got the outdrive off and looked at it, I'm pretty sure I could have left it on, but no big deal. I'm going to hire a boat mechanic to re-align the new motor and I left the motor mounts in the boat so it should make it pretty easy for him. He said he charges $50 per hour and it's about a 10 minute job so for around $10-15 that's not a bad deal.

I'll keep you guys up-to-date on the re-installation. I'll also try and post some pics soon for future searchers.

Repostyle

Cadet

Just goin' by what he said ;) But I bought an alignment tool for my seadoo and it took all of 20 minutes to line everything up and it was my first time. But I felt I wasted $150 on a one-time use tool when I could have taken it to a shop for half the price. So I kind of believe him when he says about 10 minutes.

ziggy

Admiral

Just goin' by what he said
folks can say anything they want. don't mean it's true though.....
But I felt I wasted $150 on a one-time use tool
for an i/o. i don't believe it's a one time use tool. every time the drive is removed. ya check the alignment. having the bar on hand lets ya do this with ease. in about 10 min. or less. assuming she's in alignment. longer if ya gotta adj. it. or have to find out why it was in alignment the last check and is not during this check.

alignment bars are relatively inexpensive off ebay or where ever. surely not $150. i procastinated about getting an alignment bar. that was wrong. i should have just got one from square one and been on top of it. having a bar on hand lets me remove my drive any time i want since i can check alignment right then and there in about 10 mins.. :D

kewlkatdady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in process of putting a new motor in my boat...

I elected to go ahead and buy the alignment tool.

ALOT of people recommended this guy and the tool is in perfect spec.

EBAYER

He also has a cheaper package with only the alignment tool...I opted for this one in case I need to do gimbal bearing and/or bellows.

He has the OMC tool alone for $25 plus shipping.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So follow up question, do any gaskets or seals get damaged during the removal of the outdrive that need to be replaced when it goes back on? Also, is there anything that should be inspected or serviced while it's off?

Of course. Replace the impeller and oil. When you do that drain oil from bottom screw on right side and fill in the middle hole. Remove dip stick on top to top off the oil.

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would change the U joint also....

Just for insurance. I've seen an R series Bravo 1 drive bust a U joint, and it can chew up the gimbal if you don't realize where the noise is coming from and why the boat won't go anywhere.:p

It was on a Merc 525, so it had decent power, but it also broke right away. And was a new drive.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Alignment tool is like $34 with shipping on e bay... Even comes with a ring so you can hang it on the wall..

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am pulling my mercruiser type 1 165hp in a 1073 aristocraft19 today. the trim cylinders are off and the 6 nuts off, it came out about 1/4" and seems stuck. Do i have to do anything else or just keep prying and rocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.