Pulley Replacement

Jake007

Seaman
I have a Volvo Penta 5.0Gi engine on a 20' Cobalt 1998. My alternator belt ripped apart on my last trip. I noticed the pulley has some surface corrosion /rust on the outside edge and down into the belt groove in a couple places.

Q. How hard is it to replace the pulley when I change all the belts? Do I need to borrow a standard auto part store puller? Any other special tools needed? How do you put the new pulley on? Tips /tricks?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Pulley Replacement

are you certain that the bearings on the alternator itself hasn't seized? Can't imagine a little rust on a pulley destroying a perfectly good belt

Jake007

Seaman

I can turn the alternator easily with my hand. I did not have the boat out for about 6 weeks and we had some nice weather last weekend at 70 deg so I went out for the day. It broke on the way back home. I was giving it a good run by running up in RPMs > 4200. Luckily I was still able to get back in with no belt. The dealer mentioned the rust on the pulley about 8 months ago and I didn't think it was a big deal either. I went looking for my records to see how old the belt was since I thought I changed them all a couple yrs ago, but I could not find any record of it. So, maybe the belts are 12 yrs old and broke from old age. However, I don't see any cracks in any of the other belts.

Oldskool

Seaman

I would suggest that you swap out all the belts if they are 12 years old. As far a changing out the pulley, you should be able to remove it by using an air impact to remove the pulley nut. The pulley should slide off at that point. If it is stuck, you may need to use a puller to remove it. You can likely find the new pulley at your local NAPA Auto Parts store.

Jake007

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. The pulley has four bolts, so it sounds like you just remove those and it should come right off. I thought that maybe it was pressed on or something like that and may require special tools.

Bondo

Staff member

The dealer mentioned the rust on the pulley about 8 months ago

Ayuh,... Changing the pulleys isn't yer answer, but sanding, 'n Paintin' 'em is...

Scuff 'em, ALL of 'em, off with a scotchbrite pad, or sandpaper to get the rust off,...
Then paint 'em up with a quality enamel paint, like Rustoleum...

If ya boat in Saltwater,...
You might have to add this to your Annual service regimen...

Jake007

Seaman

I was thinking of the sand and paint but wasn't sure how good it would turn out. I found the pulley today and it was pricey at 130. I think I would likely have to pull it to paint it?

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remove the pulleys get them glass beaded or sand blasted with a fine grit sand,then paint them with Por 15, this will cure the problem for as long as the paint lasts which with Por 15 should be at least 5 years

Last edited:

Jake007

Seaman

Well I removed the pulley today, 4 bolts and came right off no special tools needed. It had a good amount of corrosion and I had a new one in my hand.... so I just changed it and moved on. All hoses fit and new pulley.... done. Thanks for all the tips guys....