Pull starter on Chrysler 6HP.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi guys, <br /><br />I have a Chrysler 6HP (62HG), and last time I used it, I must have been overzealous because the pullstarter rope came out, and started the motor, but didn't retract back in again... <br /><br />I've searched the net for hours in vain for some idea of how this pullstarter goes together..<br /><br />Its not one that goes on the flywheel, its up beside the carby and it has a thin pully that the rope windows up on and its on a shaft, at the bottom of the shaft is the spring mechanism..<br /><br />In the bracket that this whole unit sits in, is a pin that is obviously designed to stop this unit from spinning back and therefore keep the spring tension.. but I can't see any way of getting the unit into the slot while keeping the spring tension up by hand as its an incrediably tight fit....<br /><br />Does anyone have any tips for this?<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pull starter on Chrysler 6HP.

That is a difficult recoil mechanism to work on, Franki. I recommend a Repair Manual.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks JB, I just bought one....<br />(was sposed to be the manual but turned out to be a parts catelog, but at least it has a schematic...<br /><br />The parts list has a "Starter Rewind key" that they recommend for that purpose, its part number is T2985, but there is no image of it so I have no idea what it looks like. (or I would try to fabricate one or at least try to achieve the same result with something else.) any idea what this tool looks like or how it works?<br /><br />I found the reason the spring let go...<br /><br />Most of the starter mech is made of plastic.. (only thing on the motor that is.) and the little plastic retainter that locks the base of the starter stationary is stripped. (Part number 286737-1) so now I have to find a new one of those (or fabricate one).<br /><br />Its a shame this happened, this motor was a great buy, it starts first pull every time, is very frugal on fuel, it is very quiet... its been a cheap dream till I heaved to hard on the starter..<br />Its only used as a kicker and occasionally to move from one fishing spot to another when I can't be bothered to start the 100HP... but thats still often enough to not want to use a rope around the flywheel.<br /><br />I guess I'll have to go looking for a shop that stocks Chrysler parts. (or an outboard wrecker in my area.)<br /><br />I'd still like to know what that rewind tool looks like though.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Hi Franki --<br /><br />turns out I'm working on what is probably the same starter, with similar problems. I had bought the starter off Ebay to go on a 9.9 Autoelectric I'm trying to get running (mod.95HA). The starter didn't come with the rewind spring retainer, and i tried unsuccessfully to make one out of PVC pipe. The spring slips after a couple of turns. I'm thinking it might work if I put a vertical notch to hold the spring end on the outside of the pipe. If the original one was plastic, I still think PVC should work if I can get it to fit right.<br /><br />I don't have the tool either, and have been trying to wind the spring from the bottom with the lower bracket removed. The plan was to hold the retainer in place long enough to put the bracket and spring pin up in place, then to bolt the bracket back to the powerhead.<br /><br />I wonder if the tool is reverse threaded (turning counterclockwise tightens?). Maybe another option is to seat the cap screw with a nut, then tighten the nut down -- possibility that the screw could be turned counterclockwise, thereby winding the spring (although I kind of doubt it -- haven't tried it yet).<br /><br /> Curt

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Oldboat...<br /><br />I have found the retainer bit at a dealer here, it was only 9 dollars AUD.. so I'm having it delivered..<br /><br />As for the tool, unless someone has a better suggestion, I will try installing it with the handle removed, (off the rope) and see if I can't wind back the spindle till I get suitable pressure to retract.. then feed the rope back though the hole in the front of the unit and reattach the handle...<br /><br />Failing that, I'll work out some way to wind the unit up tight before fitting,, and lock it in place somehow while I slide the unit back into its bracket on the OB... I'm hoping it will work, I'll report one way or the other then I give it a shot.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Frankie...zounds like you have the rewind that sits on a shaft in front of the p/h...I have the same on my 7.5...There is a cap screw on the very top of the shaft, looks like the "special tool" screws into where the cap screw goes. If my assumptions are right you can make the tool with a rod of about 10-12 inches of the apropriate diameter bent into a crank at one end and threaded to fit the shaft at the other...US thread of 1/4" or less. I do have a repair manual, if you want me to copy some pages for you and email I can...just a Thought

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That would be fantastic Thought101...<br /><br />I tried to buy a manual the other day.. but either I ordered the wrong thing, or he send me the wrong thing cos I got the parts manual instead...<br />great for ordering parts, but the breakdown image is not that detailed and it isn't clear from the image how it goes together.. so I'd be most grateful if you could scan the bit of the manual that relates to the starter and emailed it to franki@htmlfixit.com<br /><br />for that matter, if the manual makes any mention of properly setting the throttle linkage with the spark advance (the throttle runs off a linkage driven by a plate under the flywheel) I'd be most appreciative, as I've never successfully been able to get it to rev up smoothly, seems to have a big dead spot about 1/4 throotle... A marine shop told me it also needed a special tool. (it appears Chrysler went out of their way to force people to use authorised dealers/repairs...)<br /><br />anyway, thankyou very much for the offer...<br /><br />if you want a copy of the parts list PDF, let me know..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Frankie I sent you an email...let me know. I sent you partial instructions from an 84 manual...if it's the same as yours I can send the rest...just a Thought

BRIAN03

Petty Officer 1st Class

When we hired a new guy we would pull the old Chrysler out of the back room and tell him to repair the recoil. When he was hired he would say he could fix anything. We all love the new guy.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thought101, <br /><br />Its not identical, but very close, its hard to tell from the images shown on the image you sent, but if its not identical, its pretty close.. (mine is nearly 10 years older)<br /><br />Its hard to get an idea of what that tool looks like from the image. (at least the part on the inside.)<br /><br />Brian03, Thanks heaps, you have just inspired me with confidence. still, it doesn't look that complicated.. If this thing isn't broken I will get it working.. last year I managed to get the armature inside the brushs using just pieces of cotton and some determination,, so I can do this..<br />:) (very old dirty 12v motor from tilt trim)<br /><br />(Famous last words??)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Frankie...your motor should be a '77 year. there may have been minor changes but should be similar.<br />The tool used could be a bolt of the same size and thread as the cap screw...long enough to get a wrench on so's ya can turn the shaft to tighten the spring so's ya can put in the pin...just a Thought

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Thought101.. <br /><br />everything I read says my motor is a 75 model..<br />(and a search on google for 62HG seems to agree with that.)<br /><br />but as you said, its pretty similiar..<br /><br />The part I need should be arriving tomorrow. (the plastic retainer that locks the spring in place under the unit.) so I'll be giving it a shot as soon as I get it.. I'll let you know how I go.. <br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I think the spring has to be wound counter-clockwise. The rope is coiled clockwise. If that's correct, the tool to wind the spool can't be threaded in the same direction as the screw on top of the unit.<br /><br />I haven't gotten back to the recoil starter yet, but I was thinking of running the set screw on top through a nut and then into the spool. I think maybe the nut could then be turned counterclockwise, and would tighten down on the spool to allow it to be wound counterclockwise. But I'm not sure.<br /><br />Let us know how your fix comes out.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Franki -- I sort of assumed the plastic retainer wouldn't be available, but went out and bought one after reading your original post (rather than continuing to fool around trying to make one). I've managed to install it and rewind the spring without the tool. I wound the spring from the bottom after installing the retainer -- left the upper bracket in place, although not tightened to permit a little movement. I then wound the spring using the lower bracket. There was just enough clearance so I could spin the bracket around, winding the spring. I'm not sure now which direction, but I think it was counterclockwise (whichever direction winds the spring so that the spring-loaded spool recoils clockwise when released.) It turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. I should point out, though, that I had removed the powerhead as part of other repairs and refitting -- don't think this could be done without the powerhead removed, as there wouldn't seem to be enough access.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for that oldboat... <br /><br />I tried the same process on my 6HP.. and got nowhere.. there is no way to get in there to wind from the bottom, and winding from the top did not have the effect I was expecting..(it didn't work)..<br /><br />I did notice that when I had it out, I could wind it around from underneath...<br /><br />so I had a thought, If I can wind it up out of the mothor and lock it in some way. (perhaps with wire) I might be able to get it back in again and then remove the wire.. (I did something similiar when the armature fell out of my tilt motor brushes.. )<br /><br />I always found the Chrysler very solidly built and bullet proof.. everything was metal, then I discoverd that nearly the entire pullstarter is plastic.. (including the spool) and my spool has hairline cracks in it.. (but not enough to warrant replacing it as its much more expensive then the retainer..)<br /><br />Anyway, I discovered after a weekend of fishing in rough water that the 6hp isn't even close to enough to propel or steer my boat... I ended up sideswipping a jetty because the moter did not have enough strength to give me steering or acceleration in the strong wind/big waves/current..<br /><br />So I've decided to fix the pullstarter, and sell the mother, it would be excellent for someone with a little tinny or something...<br /><br />Then I'm gonna go looking for a 9-15HP motor, hopefully a johnson to match the main mother.<br /><br />I'm certainly not keen to pull the power head off it just to get the pullstarter working again... :)<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Hi Franki -- Intersting stuff. If you want to stick with Chryslers, the 9.9/10hp Sailor might be a good choice for a kicker. I use one on my boat --interchange it with a 9.9hp Evinrude and like them both. The Chrysler is lighter than the Evinrude Yachtwin (which also has the extra-long shaft), and that's an advantage. To further reduce the weight (both on the boat and getting it there), I recently replaced the Chrysler's heavyduty high-thrust lower unit with a regular extended shaft.<br /><br />The powerhead on the Chrysler comes off fairly easily, and sure makes repair of the recoil assembly easier -- so you still might consider doing that. I don't think I could even get at the lower bracket screws on my 9.9 with the powerhead installed. But if you can do it on your 6hp, maybe you can rewind the shaft from the bottom and assemble the starter holding the brackets in place against a metal plate. If you have enough room, maybe you can carefully slide the assembly in place against the block, then slide out the metal backing plate. If you can then get a bolt in place on the lower bracket, you might be able to get the rest bolted up. An extra pair of hands might be useful. <br /><br />interesting exercise....

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oldboat... <br /><br />how long is your boat??? <br /><br />Mine is only 17 foot old FG halfcabin, but very solid and heavy.. and the 6HP doesn't give me anywhere near enough thrust.. (unless the water is like glass and there is no wind)... so I am wondering how much better a 9-10 would be??? (I was figuring that a 15 hp would be necessary for the wind/tide conditions around here.)<br /><br />Weight is a consideration for me, so I don't want whatever replaces the 6 to be too much heaver then it is.. but it must have enough thrust to push and steer the boat. so I had thought a 15 would be better.. <br /><br />What brand I get will depend allot on the best deal I can get.. I'd like something a good bit newer then the Chrysler is.. maybe mid to late 80's or newer....<br /><br />I must say, I do love the little 6HP though, its very quiet, smooth, very frugal with fuel and it put up with allot from me.. but sadly its just not powerful enough for my needs.. :-( sad because I get attached to all my toys.. and I'm gonna have to part with this one.<br /><br />As for the starter, I will check out removing the powerhead tomorrow.. see how it looks. if its easy and my other attempts to wind the stator fail, I'll give it a shot.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Franki --<br /><br />My boat is a 25 foot Chris Craft cabin cruiser (1977 Catalina model). The auxiliary motor has been mounted on the port side, although I'm planning to mount it in the middle this spring or summer when I put on a swim platform. The 10hp Chrysler Sailor I have is a 1976 or '77 model (not sure) with electronic ignition (Chrysler's Magnapower III). If the CD module goes out, I'll need to scramble a little, but the motor has run well. Both the Chrysler and the 1990 Evinrude I sometimes use are sailboat models with high-thrust props (and the heavy duty legs -- particularly the Chrysler Sailor, which was built with a very heavy lower unit). I think the additional thrust is probably more of a factor in control than horsepower. Having said that, I'm converting to a regular leg and prop this year on the Chrysler to try and save some weight (same length, just not the heavy construction). Based on my experience with the motor, I believe it still will have enough power/thrust to handle the boat under most conditions. For me, raising and lowering the motor as well as ease in getting it on and off the boat are factors. (The weight difference between a 10 and a 15 is probably not that great, by the way, if the 15 seems preferable.) <br /><br />For trolling, I like the idea of getting the right boat speed without having to idle the outboard down too low -- better if the motor can run at slightly higher rpms, so a smaller hp is not a problem there. At higher rpms, they are likely to cool better, charge better, and burn cleaner. I like the electric start, by the way, with an alternator.<br /><br />The 6hp powerhead should come off fairly easily. Take care to disconnect all linkages -- watch out for the choke knob link at the carb. Mine is held by a little stainless clip that will break if stressed -- difficult to replace. You might be able to reuse the existing gasket under the powerhead, although new ones are available through Mercury dealers, and are not expensive.<br /><br />would like to hear how it works out....<br /><br /> Curt

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a quick question Oldboat..<br /><br />how many turns tension did you put on the starter??<br /><br />I mean the rope is fully retracted already, so anything I add is tension, so I'm assuming that a couple of turns is enough????<br /><br />ta<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

I think the instructions call for 8 or 8 1/2 turns with the tool -- don't think I wound it that tight from the bottom. I wound it until the rewind tension felt right (don't think it was more than maybe three -- know it was less than I expected). I was a little afraid of breaking something by winding it too tight. You can check the tension on the rope before it's completely installed -- think I would suggest just going by feel.