Public Servant?

aspeck

Staff member
And just what is this Tenn State Senator serving his public? What does this say about the Senator, the people that voted for him, and the women in his life?<br /><br />***************************************************<br /><br />MEMPHIS, Tenn. - State Sen. John Ford testified in a juvenile court hearing that he keeps two homes, living with two different women whose children he fathered.<br /><br />Ford's testimony was part of his defense in a child support case. The Memphis Democrat heads a Senate committee that guides the state's child welfare policies, and for the past year he's tried to make use of a law he authored that keeps court-ordered support lower when a father is financially responsible for other children.<br /><br />In a Juvenile Court hearing last year that is set for a follow-up hearing on Tuesday, Ford said he lives some days with ex-wife Tamara Mitchell-Ford and the three children they had together. On others, he stays with his longtime girlfriend, Connie Mathews, and their two children.<br /><br />Ford and Mitchell-Ford went through a bitter divorce in 2002 that led to Mitchell-Ford's jailing after she plowed her car through Mathews' Collierville home.<br /><br />Ford said he pays nearly all bills for both families. They stay in houses he owns and where he also lives, though neither home is in his South Memphis Senate district.<br /><br />"You have two homes?" Referee Felicia Hogan asks during the tape recorded hearing from November. "Well, that's unusual."<br /><br />"Not necessarily," Ford shot back. "I know people who got five."<br /><br />Hogan responded: "For child support purposes that's unusual, let me put it that way then."<br /><br />Ford is battling a suit by a third woman, Dana Smith, who is trying to increase his court-ordered support of a 10-year-old girl he fathered. Smith, a former employee under Ford when he was General Sessions Clerk, won a 1996 sexual harassment verdict against him.<br /><br />Ford contends that any increase for Smith should be tempered by his financial obligations to his other five minor children. None of those children is subject to child support orders.<br /><br />In the hearing, Ford argued all five children live in his household — a household that encompasses two homes — and because of that he is exempt from rules requiring strict proof of his financial support of them.<br /><br />Hogan rejected Ford's request, saying he must produce evidence of bills paid if he wants credit to lessen any modification of Smith's child support.<br /><br />Mitchell-Ford told The Commercial Appeal newspaper last week said she can verify at least some of Ford's contentions. She said she is six months pregnant, and the father, she said, is John Ford, now 62.<br /><br />"John is over here every single day, if not staying here," she said.<br /><br />Ford did not respond to messages left at his Nashville and Memphis offices. Mathews could not be reached.<br /><br />Ford's comments were part of a hearing more than two years after Smith first petitioned Juvenile Court to increase the senator's $500-a-month support.<br /><br />Ford's income has risen dramatically in recent years. Evidence presented in the hearing showed Ford's gross income reached $356,899 in 2003 and $255,752 in 2002.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Ford said most of that comes from his private insurance and real estate consulting business, though specific sources remain a secret. At Ford's request, Hogan ordered state's attorney Joseph Little to keep confidential receipts and documented expenses Ford was ordered to hand over.<br /><br />Disclosure "would expose all of my business interests and everything. It would put me in imminent danger of a lot of different things I don't want to explain in here," Ford told the court.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Public Servant?

It would appear, that ugly moniker of "moral bankruptcy" they seem to wear like a badge of honor, showing-up again. But it's not his fault, man....He's a senator. :rolleyes:

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

What a poor excuse for a "citizen" and someone who should be leading by example. Does anybody know if this guy is serving more than just his first term and, if so, was this garbage known before his re-election? It would fit right along with Clinton's ideal of showing no class and being rewarded for it by getting another term by a mindless constituency.

bubbakat

Captain

This man has been of questionable charcter every since he took office. I think if you will do a little search you will find more children then this.<br />The ethics committee will not do anything about this guy.<br />If you know what the population of shelby county consist of you will understand why he can continualy get reelected to office.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if Ben Franklin supported any of his reported 21 illegitimate children.<br /><br />Anybody know?

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

JB,<br /><br />Do you really view that as the main issue here? My take on this guy is:<br /><br />1. He has something to hide per "Disclosure 'would expose all of my business interests and everything. It would put me in imminent danger of a lot of different things I don't want to explain in here,' Ford told the court."<br /><br />2. He is an elected official whereas Franklin, although a public figure, was largely an entrepreneur, hence not to be held to the same standards where leadership is concerned.<br /><br /><br />In any event, money should not be an issue where child support is concerned for someone who has just grossed over $600,000 in two years. IMHO

aspeck

Staff member

Agree with you, Prof, this isn't just one issue, it is a whole bunch of apparent "funny stuff."<br /><br />Bubba, guess he is trying to populate Shelby County with all his own kin! HA!

bubbakat

Captain

He also thinks because he is in politics that he is above the law.<br />JB I don't know what or how many kids ben franklin had or how many ford has but to say the least and I say this with all honesty. This guy does not belong in public office.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

An old thread, but lends credence to "what goes around, comes around".<br /><br />"Ford quits Senate <br /><br />By TRENT SEIBERT<br />Staff Writer<br /><br />Pounded for months by ethics scandals, under federal indictment in a bribery sting and now, facing an almost certain impeachment, John Ford resigned yesterday from a state Senate seat he had held for three decades."<br /><br />"The sting culminated Thursday when federal agents arrested Ford and three of his state legislative colleagues: Sens. Kathryn Bowers, D-Memphis, and Ward Crutchfield, D-Chattanooga; and Rep. Chris Newton, R-Cleveland."<br /><br />"Ford is the only one facing accusations of threatening to kill witnesses. He spent one night in a federal lockup in Mason, Tenn., before posting a $20,000 bond on Friday."...The Nashville Tennesseean, 5/29/05.<br /><br />While not familiar with bond guidlines, $20,000 seems small.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I wonder if Ben Franklin took tax deductions for the 21 children he fathered. I wonder if Ben threatened to kill witnesses? I wonder if Ben employed others in a cover-up? I wonder if Ben tried to thwart the law in order to hide his responsiblities and cover his political tail? Was old Ben ever indicted for bribery? Any chance Ben authored legislation to cover his arse concerning his children. And 21 children, have you seen Ben? Take a look at the 100 bill. He doesn't look like he could father a child in the house of blind.<br /><br />Although the 21 child legend does kind of explain the flying a kite in a thunderstorm story.<br /><br />Come on JB.

bubbakat

Captain

Pointer you are back I see :D :D <br />When all is said and done they won't even scrape the top of the heap that that man (ford) has done that is illeagel.