PT Boat cruise

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
The admiral and I are driving to NOLA in a few weeks for a 4 day weekend. We are thinking of taking a cruise on the recently rebuilt PT 305. It is a 45 minute cruise on Lake Ponchatrain and the normal fee is $350 each. Since we are both older than dirt we get a discount so the price is $305 per person. Now, we are not rich or poor but that seems awful expensive for only 45 minutes. Can't do anything during the cruise except sit where they put you. Not supposed to even take photos while underway. Are we nuts to spend $610 plus tax for only 45 minutes?

Last edited:

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Back when I was stationed at the 25th ID in HI the Admiral and I went for a sunset cruise (Waikiki) that included dinner. Lasted a couple of hours. Price: nowhere near that a decade ago. We are thinking it was less than $200. Maybe the boat we took was far less than the boat they have planned for you. If it's the Titanic that would be worth it, but I believe that one is still at the bottom of the ocean. Cost in $ is relative, but that sure sounds steep to me even at a discount.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Back when I was stationed at the 25th ID in HI the Admiral and I went for a sunset cruise (Waikiki) that included dinner. Lasted a couple of hours. Price: nowhere near that a decade ago. We are thinking it was less than $200. Maybe the boat we took was far less than the boat they have planned for you. If it's the Titanic that would be worth it, but I believe that one is still at the bottom of the ocean. Cost in $ is relative, but that sure sounds steep to me even at a discount.

$200 is more realistic for the 45 min ride.

This is the boat:

http://www.pt305.org/

southkogs

Staff member
Do a quick re-check: I think the ride is a 90 minute ride and the deck tour is about 45min. For the $15 fee, the deck tour is a no-brainer. $600 for a boat ride is steep even at 90min, but it is a PT boat. Also see if the admission to the WWII Museum is included. The museum is supposed to be spectacular. I wanted to go when I was in New Orleans earlier this year, but didn't have a big enough hole in my schedule.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I checked the FAQ's and the tour in the boat house lasts 45 min and then the cruise lasts 45 min. The boat is stored away from the museam so there is a seperate fee for the museum itself. They have a shuttle from the museum to the boat and that costs $29 per head round trip.

Maclin

Admiral
The attraction is that you are on a restored PT boat. Is the history experience worth it to you guys. Do you get to launch any torpedoes? :)

aspeck

Staff member
That would be way to steep for me, but apparently there are many people who find that price worthwhile for the historical value. I would not condemn you for doing it, but I wouldn't do it ...

southkogs

Staff member
It's sorta' like the flights on the old war birds. They're in a similar range. I'd say it much like the above ^^^^ probably too steep for me, but I get why someone would.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Flying in a warbird would be way cooler.Can you bring a rod and reel?:joyous: Now let this canuck go for a spin on the U.S.S Constitution when they turn her around id pay no problem.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am all in even at 500 or 600 if I can fire the torpedoes. I like boats but my ideal cruise would be in the front seat of a Blue Max Cobra with my finger on the trigger of a mini-gun with tracer bullets.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I remember as a kid on armed forces day on the base i lived on i got to sit in a sabre fighter and shoot a 50 cal machine gun and cut a target in half.That was mucho cool.The fighter and 50 cal were separate toys.The 50 was in an enclosure with bags all around and an instructor hovering over us teens.Also remember a sopwith camel doing battle with the red baron !

southkogs

Staff member
^^^ lotsa' those experiences for me growing up too.

The airshows when I was a kid were so much more engaging. The old CAF reenactments were TONS of fun to watch.

I've been in a f-4 while the engines were running one time, would love the chance to fly in one someday. Had to turn down an invitation to fly on the B29 "Fi Fi" a couple of years ago ... that was heartbreaking. But a good friend of mine got to go.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's far more than I would pay for a 45 minute boat ride, but there are people in love with that type of thing, so if they can sell trips they found a good niche.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Better sense prevailed over wishful thinking. We nixed the pt boat cruise. Just too expensive for only 45 minutes.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
They have one at a Boardwalk not far from me. They charge $20 a pop. They advertise in the brochure: Not responsible for lost hats; and prepare to get wet! I think I will pass; have fought way too many squalls and waves in the Bay.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
So much for being in McHale's Navy!

Not allowed to take pictures? WTH?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
They have one at a Boardwalk not far from me. They charge $20 a pop. They advertise in the brochure: Not responsible for lost hats; and prepare to get wet! I think I will pass; have fought way too many squalls and waves in the Bay.

Only $20 for a ride on a PT boat? Where is it?