Proud to say I work for these guys!

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We may not always agree on the "wheres" and "whys", but we should all support the "whos", regardless of our politics. Sorry for the length, but this was in my company email yesterday, and I thought it was worth sharing:<br /><br />October 21, 2004<br /><br />AEP Again Enhances Military Leave Policy<br /><br />For the second year in a row, AEP will enhance its military leave policy for those employees serving in the Reserves or National Guard who are called to active duty in emergency situations. Retroactive to April 1, 2004, these employees will be paid the difference between their military pay and their AEP pay for up to two years while serving on active duty. They and their dependents also will continue to be eligible for most AEP benefit and work/life programs, including medical, dental and retirement savings plans over the two-year period. <br /><br />Prior to April of 2003, AEP's military leave policy provided for full pay and benefits through the end of the month following the month an individual was called to active duty. Last year, the company enhanced its policy, providing a pay differential and access to most benefit plans for up to one year. <br /><br />"When last year's military leave enhancements were made, few, if any, reservists or guard members were being deployed for more than a year," said Mary Cofer, director - Personnel Services and EEO. "Unfortunately, eight employees and their families are now experiencing financial difficulties because they have been recalled or their service has been extended after serving more than a year."<br /><br />Mike Morris, chairman, president and CEO, said, "Employees who are called to active duty in emergency situations face potential danger on a daily basis. They should not have to worry about the loss of income or a disruption in their family's healthcare coverage back home. Therefore, we felt it was critically important that we extend our policy to take care of those employees who are taking care of us by defending their country."<br /><br />Following enhancement of the military leave policy last year, AEP was recognized with several awards. In September of 2003, the company was presented a "My Boss is a Patriot Award," and in October of last year was given a "Patriotic Employer" award. Both awards are sponsored by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense and recognize deserving employers whose support and goodwill are important to retaining highly skilled and qualified members of the National Guard and Reserve. <br /><br />The company also received numerous positive comments from employees following last year's change in policy. Said one: "It is extremely satisfying to know that AEP is offering this level of flexibility to employees that also provide service to our country. This action will boost the morale of all employees."<br /><br />Another employee commented: "I applaud this very positive step. Only through such total support for employees that are called to service can we display the title 'American' Electric Power."<br /><br />Since the 2003 policy was adopted, the company has provided nearly half a million dollars (excluding benefit costs) to the 67 employees who are Reservists and/or Guard members. Currently, 23 AEP employees remain on active military duty.<br /><br />Celebrations recognizing the sacrifices made by those AEP employees who are serving or have served in the military are planned throughout the system on Veteran's Day, November 11.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Proud to say I work for these guys!

Yup. I would be proud to work for them, too, Brian. :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Proud!? ... I'd be ecstatic!!<br /><br />-if they can afford to do that ... It's time you walk in and ask for a pay increase...!!!!!!!!!!<br /><br />To the tune of 25% ..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep....was a nice thing to do for our guys in the service. I work for AEP also and got the same mail Brian did. First thought was "Wow! That's kinda cool". There was a new article also today on there web about one of our employees' that just came back from Iraq. He's a major in the Reserves and pilots a Cobra Attack Chopper. Nice to see our guys get back in one piece. He works in Columbus...maybe Brian knows him?

BrianFD

Nope, OBJ, I think he works downtown. Lucky me gets to work in Groveport (no retched fighting the rush-hour traffic!)

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

That's a company that should be promoted as a model for others to follow. Kudos to your management team, and to your company in general.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Now there's a company I wish I worked for! I too work for a power utility (no names mentioned by me) a few hundred miles east of you guys. The way things are around here nowadays, we're lucky they don't stand us up in front of a firing squad. It's nice to know there are still some conscientious employers around.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Did PJM affect either of you guys? It's a real beotch at the working plants. First day with PJM and just one unit had 50 load regulations in a 12 hour shift. 50!! The say it's the computers doing it....

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Not me. I work in distribution, not transmission. We are rarely directly affected by the operation of generation unless there is a major problem.

BrianFD

Same for me, OBJ. Although they're thinking, once again, of re-defining the terms "Transmission" and "Distribution".

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes I wish I woulda' went with T/D. But....to late now...'sides....come Jan 31, 05....I'm outta there. 39 1/2 years. Long enough. Let the youngin's fight it. But...on the other side of it....some interesting stuff coming....

BrianFD

WOW! Three months to go! Congratulations, OBJ!<br />I'm looking forward to retiring, too, but not for another 4 years, after 35 1/2 years. Come this time in '08, I'll be saying "Hasta la vista, Baby!", and heading for the south coast (Good Lord willing!!).<br />Thanks for your dedication, OBJ. If it wasn't for you & your peers doing the good jobs they do, there wouldn't be any need for me to get the product to the customers. Well done, and Good Luck!

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

That's an awesome achievement OBJ! In the day where 6 or 7 years is the average term of employment with a given company, 30+ is remarkable. I truly hope you enjoy your retirement. I have to stick it out for another 19 prolly. :eek:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Let me tell ya' guys....be it 4 or 19...them years is going to fly. Take advantage of what you can do while still there. Real good programs in the system....I think their 401 is tops! But don't put it all into AEP stock....to unpredictable. <br /><br />Thanks for the well wishes.... :)