Proud papa moment

QC

Supreme Mariner
I have a 16 year old son who started driving this year :eek: . We are just starting to have him back the trailer down etc. so mom can get a break.<br /><br />We were using a ramp with only room for two at a time. While he was next in line to retrieve me yesterday he had to wait for a guy who hung his hull up on a strake. I've done it before, so I know how frustrating that can be. Anyway, the guy backs down again real fast to fix it and not sure how it happened, but it started to roll over the wrong way and almost put his wife in the drink. Somehow he saved it. At the same time, there was a guy towed to the ramp by a Seadoo (how embarassing!!!)and the guy in the Seadoo stayed at the ramp standing there after the boat was long gone. So the kid (and me in the water) were waiting for what seemed like an eternity, and everybody lined up behind was getting pretty steamed. As soon as the Seadoo Dude gets a clue and moves (the other boat still on the other side), my son calmly swung the trailer around and backed it into a really tight spot while I was holding my breath and idling toward him. He had to make one small correction but put it straight into the spot somehow perfectly timed with me idling in and straight onto the trailer. I got the winch strap on and wound her up without even leaving the bow. He started idling up the ramp within 90 seconds of backing down. Some guy gives me a thumbs up and says "that's how it's done". All I could do was smile big and point to the truck and say "he's just 16". Man, that felt good!!! :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Proud papa moment

Waaay cool, QC. :D <br /><br />Being proud of your younguns is a really great feeling, huh?

LubeDude

Admiral

Awesome, I dont think my 25 year old Son could do it. He grew up with his mom or he would be able to.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That is way cool! Dad must have taught him well. :D <br />Bassy

sangerwaker

Commander

Cool deal, QC. Hope my son is willing and able at that age. But for now, my wife does a most excellent job of backing in the trailer.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks all, yeah I am still grinnin'. This way Mom can be on the boat with me if she wants etc. The only problem is he's gonna start asking for the keys pretty soon . . . to the boat :eek:

Twidget

Commander

That is awesome! I hope my son is willing/able to do that at 16.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Cool deal, Quietcat.... Do you loan him out?... :D I need a good trailer backer-upper..

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Terrific QC, bet he said something like " That OK , Dad?" with a much lower voice than usual and this slightly bored look? I love those moments :D <br />Frank

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Good one!<br /><br />I cant wait for my son to be able to do the same thing.<br /><br />Ken