Proud owner of a 1962 MFG Westfield Deluxe

rsp95

Seaman
Restoring my new/old toy and I'm in need of some helpful tips. Half the bolts to which the base of the seats are screwed into have deteriorated. Actually the rubber surrounding the bolts have deteriorated which is what held the bolt to the deck. Is it possible to get replacements? If not, what are my options. Also looking for the MFG flag. Check ebay all the time with no luck.

pduquette

Ensign
Re: Proud owner of a 1962 MFG Westfield Deluxe

Welcome aboard! I'm not sure about how the seats bolt down , my interior was stripped out when I got her.. The flags were being reproduced but the guy making then "closed shop" I got one-maybe we can use it as a template? Or if one of our members has extras???:)

rsp95

Seaman

Hopefully the attached pictures are viewable. One is simply the hole on the deck, the other is the rubber insert that surrounds the bolt, and the last picture is how the seat base is attached to the deck. It's too bad about the guy that closed shop. The flag would have been the cherry on the top.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • rubber bolt.jpg
    rubber bolt.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
  • hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 0

woosterken

Lieutenant

don't know if it will help,the back to back seats in my '74 gypsy are held down with "L" brackets.
I too have the flag I can measure it an get you a better picture of it if you would like it.
PM me an email addy I can send the picture.
IM000022.jpg

this is what your looking for?

woosterken

rsp95

Seaman

The first picture on my post is actually the L bracket. It's screwed in from the inside so it's hard to tell from the picture. The bottom part of the bracket is bolted down to the deck into the bolt I was talking about.

reelfishin

Captain

The seats in my '65 Edinboro were held in place with toggle bolts with rubber grommets which were compressed against the bottom of the seat frame to seal the hole. I suppose you could make something using expanding freeze plugs from the auto parts store and some stainless bolts.

I was thinking of just using expanding rubber freeze plugs and stainless bolts to hold my seats in place. It makes for a long lasting bolt set up and it will water proof the hole as well.

rsp95

Seaman

I'll look into that. If it works, the supply will be plentiful. Thank you. I'll write up an update either way.

reelfishin

Captain

I pulled one of the rubber inserts out of mine today, what they appear to be are giant rubber well nuts. Picture a threaded drain plug with a bolt on top instead of the shaft and T handle. The proper way to have removed them appears to have been to loosen the seats, then work the rubber and all out which would have allowed the toggle or threaded back end of the cap to remain attached and not drop into the sealed bilge area. Mine were all already out when I got both of my boats, but I was able to retrieve all but one of the bolts using a borescope and long pickup tool.

rsp95

Seaman

The rubber on mine were dry and brittle so as I was removing my seats, they fell apart. I'll be going to a few stores this weekend to hopefully find something that may work. Aside from freeze plugs and rubber well nuts, are there any other technical terms I should know so that I'll look like I know what I'm talking about?

reelfishin

Captain

The rubber on mine were dry and brittle so as I was removing my seats, they fell apart. I'll be going to a few stores this weekend to hopefully find something that may work. Aside from freeze plugs and rubber well nuts, are there any other technical terms I should know so that I'll look like I know what I'm talking about?

Here's a good description of a well nut:

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w71.htm

They are used a lot on cars to attach things like roof racks where a tight water seal is needed.

Here's a few pics of rubber expansion plugs:

http://www.poolcenter.com/winter_expansion_plugs.htm

I'd look for these at plumbing or pool places or sometimes an auto parts store.

The rubber well nut would be best if you can find them large enough, otherwise I'd try to make the expansion plugs work. I'd consider using just the rubber from an expansion plug, then combining it with a toggle bolt, this would give you a good solid water proof and mechanical connection between the seat and the deck.

http://www.ameribestfasteners.com/Toggle1.jpg

I'd assemble it this way; toggle bolt, washer, rubber grommet, then through the seat base. The rubber would get compressed between the seat and the deck, and the toggle bolt would prevent it from pulling out.
Of course, I think that in most cases the rubber alone would hold the seat in place, especially when there's at least 4 per seat.

rsp95

Seaman

After taking the Winter off I have gotten back into fixing my baby. Reelfishin , Woosterken thank you both for all the help and advice. I contacted hansonrivet and they would only sell me 100 units minimum so that wouldn't work which was a little dissapointing. In any case I went over to Westmarine and found toggle bolts which they say should work. I tried them today and the problem is solved. So in the short amount of time I have installed a tach, a speedo, replaced old wiring, installed a cd-player, and I had a bracket custom made because I simply could not find anything that would work. I received the brackets two weeks later and they fit perfectly. I am now working on some minor fiberglass work which is my first time. Everything I've done on my boat has been my first time. I probably would have not tried any of these things but everyone in this forum has inspired me to go for it. The knowledge you've all shared with me has gotten me a long way and I thank you all very much. No time for mushy stuff, my baby still needs me. By the way, anyone have a spare MFG flag they want to sell? Thanks again everyone.

reelfishin

Captain

Glad to hear your moving right along!

100 rivets is pretty much a standard box count, I don't think I've ever bought any smaller boxes. I just ordered rivets for another project here, I ordered two 500 count boxes, they were cheap in bulk, far cheaper than they wanted at the hardware supply locally. For $40 I got enough to do 10 boats, I'd have spent $35 for just enough locally.