Proud new owners of a '75 Starcraft SS. Floor advice would be appreciated.

mpeschke

Recruit
Hello gents,

Father in-law and I picked up our new/old starcraft yesterday. We're newbies to the boat scene, but we knew we wanted a starcraft. We are stoked to have one! Came across this site during my google search. Incredible resource of info. A big thanks to all of your for documenting.

Pictures attached for you viewing pleasure.

You can see in the last photo that the plywood is rotting around the edges. We are planning on ripping the floor out. Any advice or recommendations for us before we start the process or things we should do/look out for during the tear down.

Thank you,
matt

Attachments

• Floor Edge.jpg
    Floor Edge.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1
  • Rear Covered.jpg
    Rear Covered.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Front Left.jpg
    Front Left.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Front Right.jpg
    Front Right.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Back Angle bo cover.jpg
    Back Angle bo cover.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Proud new owners of a '75 Starcraft SS. Floor advice would be appreciated.

this is just liek the boat my buddy lose in a shop fire , I love the enclosed rain wear this baby has , look at my 1964 starcraft rebuild and you will read good advise on there

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice project...warning..I am still on my first boat..not an expert...through research on this web site..looks like you want to avoid using treated plywood on an aluminum boat..seems like some treated plywood has copper in it
that causes the aluminum to break down..not good..when drilling out rivets be careful not to go through bottom of hull
Welcome to the Starcraft club:DMY BOAT 6 13 09 A RESIZED.JPG

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard. A lot of good advice here, and a few differences of opinion. Everything in good fun tho. Boat doesn't look like it needs much. New decking, I think most of us use exterior plywood with at least 2 coats of epoxy. I wouldn't do too much else til I found out what it needed tho. From the pics, it looks in pretty good shape. What size is it?

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the Starmada, you will find answers to any and all your questions here. Great boat you found ,and it looks like it dosen't need a lot of work.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the Starcraft brohood! Click on the "Starcraft's being rebuilt" thread link in my signature. There you'll find an excellent selection of rigs being brought back to life and more info than you can shake a stick at! A whole lot of those projects look just like yours too.

Great score and glad you are here!

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome, nice looking rig. When you take out the deck you might as well do what most of us have. Inspect the hull interior, replace flotation, Gluvit the seams, etc. Done now you will have many years of boat use with little upkeep. Any questions just ask. We enjoy offering our experience and successes and yes, failures. My deck cut from the original as a pattern, was about 1/2 inch too big!
Good luck.

mpeschke

Recruit

thanks for the great welcome gents. We move the boat into the garage yesterday. Operation tear down is about to begin.

We like the idea of 1/2" exterior plywood [Bananaboater, we will measure and re-measure ...] with a couple layers of marine epoxy.

Regarding the rivets. We'll put most of the pieces back together with rivets, but are there spots where you'd recommend using Stainless nuts/bolts to put back together [I'm think the consoles] for ease of removal in the future?

We're excited to get going, and we are hoping that the hull interior is looking good. Did a quick search on gluvit and it seems [no pun/pun?] that gluvit'ing should be done. Will document as best as we can.

thanks again!