Pros & Cons of '96 25 hp Johnson?

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 1, 2009
Messages
80
I'm going to inspect a '96 Johnson 25 hp tiller model this weekend for possible purchase. I am very familiar with the 9.9 OMC outboards of which I've had very satisfactory ownership. I used to have a '90 40 hp Johnson that I experienced a failed VRO and tilt assist cylinder. The engine could be rebuilt, the tilt assist cylinder couldn't (not to be confused with power tilt). Looking at an on-line parts list I didn't see at VRO nor tilt assist on the parts diagram for the '96 25 hp. I need a tiller outboard in 25 - 40 hp range for occasional use (probably only 1 or 2 weekends every summer) and this one is priced right ($700) and looks like it has low hours.
Can anyone offer suggestions on strengths & weaknesses of the '96 25 hp OMC? Aside from compression test, lower lube check and tank testing for running, shifting & peeing, what are some potential year/model specific problems areas I should be evaluating or be prepared to face with ownership? I would consider the '90 40 hp OMC a poorly designed outboard, did OMC do better with the 25 hp model in 1996?
 

jbjennings

Captain
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
3,903
Re: Pros & Cons of '96 25 hp Johnson?

THe OMC 25hp 2-cylinders of the 90's were the best ever built in my opinion. I don't know of any cons, unless you count plastic parts--which they all have now.
Great motors,
JBJ
 

hidef

Lieutenant
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
1,465
Re: Pros & Cons of '96 25 hp Johnson?

As long as the 25 in question is a twin cylinder. From 96-2001 they also made a triple while mechanically it is good outboard the electronics (Power Pack) and oil mixing system had problems.
 

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 1, 2009
Messages
80
Re: Pros & Cons of '96 25 hp Johnson?

I don't have model number yet, good question and I'll inquire if 2 cylinder or 3. Thanks for reply's.
 
Top