Props for Yamaha F100 and 17 Boston Whaler

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine is 2000 yamaha F100.
Boat is 17 boston whaler montauk classic.
Current prop is 17 P aluminum.
Engine is installed 2 holes up, full RPM is 5600-5700. The manual says it should reach 5600-6000.
Top speed is 37 mph.

My question is, what option is better for me?
1. Lift engine and install with 3 holes up?
2. Change to aluminum 15 P?
or 3. Change to SS props on what pitch?

airshot

Rear Admiral
If the engine goes up more you may well vent...if performance is all your after a SS prop will help if the cost is worth it ! Dropping two full inches in pitch might be to much, but dropping to a 15 with a good cup on the blades might work. Without actually seeing the boat/ motor perform, we are guessing. I always proped my boats to achieve max rpm at wot with a light load or just one person. Then when more weight/ persons are added your good. My current OB is rated at 5500 max rpm, so mine turns 5650-5700 at wot with the lightest load I would ever run....yes I do have to watch the tach !
However, when another person or two come on board I still see good performance without lugging. Each actual boat/ motor combo can be fine tuned to get max performance, but...is it worth all the trouble and expense to gain another 2 mph ??

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Go stainless for the bling……37 mph in a Montauk is fast enough

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I think you are doing fairly well as she is...but no doubt there will be a mph or two to be gained with a really good quality stainless...But that said...I am a huge fan of the standard K series white Yamaha prop..best there is in terms of a standard ally prop.. These Yamaha 100/115 engines in particular aren't known for their punch though, to be honest. More known for their un characteristic (for Yamaha) lack of performance perhaps...heavy and not terribly trusty, as far as I have seen anyway. My boat had one fitted from new and before I bought her. There is a receipt for a trade in against a new mercury outboard...to the sum of £400...presumably something disastrous happened to it. I know of a handful of premature timing belt failures too. Shame.

tavacska

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks everyone. I agree with everyone and I am very happy with what she does right now. Everything is perfect. The only concern why I am asking this question is what I read from discussions about making oils. It is said yamaha better run at its up limit which is 6000 rpm on WOT to prevent making oils. So I thought maybe 15 pitch is a good try.