Propping Yamaha C40tlrx

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Propping Yamaha C40tlrx

Assuming 5500 with a 14" at 10% slip speed is basically the same at about 35.5.

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

1.85 sounds better, I must have been readings specs on the 4 stroke 40hp. I just assumed it was 2:1 after I asked and got no correction on my assumption.....

1080tommy1

Seaman

Thanks a lot guys and I think this is getting much better. I do think the engine was reving too high just by the sound of the motor when I went to WOT. I do think a 14 will probably be the right prop for fishing because the boat will be so much lighter than when hunting. The good news is that I think the 12 will be right on for when the boat is loaded up with hunting gear and the 14 will get me the most bang when fishing. I will keep you posted as to what the results are when I have the new SS prop. One more question is if I stay at around 11 to 11 1/2 diameter that should not affect rpm too much right??? The reason I ask is that the 13 or 14 pitch are only in those diameters. Thanks again.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Generally as pitch goes up diameter goes down.there are exceptions.If the prop iS intended for your motor the diameter
is ok.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Are you going to want the SS prop for the fishing or hunting?
A 14 pitch stainless might be good at the bottom of your rpm WOT range but could lug the motor also.
I like staying towards the top end of the suggested rpm range.
See if whoever you buy the stainless prop from will let you try acouple or aleast go down(swap) in pitch,if the one you buy isn't right.
Good luck.

1080tommy1

Seaman

Ok, so after much deliberation and reading on props both on this site and elsewhere, I am going with a 3X11 1/8X13 Solas New Saturn SS prop. I think this should drop me enough RPM's to put me right on the top end of my range. I am going to go out again with the boat setup as is and take another person hopefully one of my fishing buddies so I know how it performs with a normal load. This will tell me if the change is even really needed. So again, thanks to all of you guys!!!! I appreciate the help!! Made this process easier than it would have been if I had nobody to bounce some ideas off of. As always I will keep you posted!!! Has anyone had any experience with these props? Just wondering and I am not going to purachase the prop until I get out again for some more checking probably this coming weekend.