Proper way to start engine?

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1997 Force 75hp outboard that I haven't started yet (just bought the boat). To choke the engine you have to push the ignition key in. Do I do this in the start position and how long do I push in the key. When it starts can I release the key or do I need to hold the key in for a while untill it warms up a bit? I'm curious about the proper procedure.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Proper way to start engine?

Mine is set up a little different. However, I only need to push the choke button until the motor turns over.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1997 Force 75hp outboard that I haven't started yet (just bought the boat). To choke the engine you have to push the ignition key in. Do I do this in the start position and how long do I push in the key. When it starts can I release the key or do I need to hold the key in for a while untill it warms up a bit? I'm curious about the proper procedure.

Just do what the owner's manual says to do. If you don't have one, get one.

If you need to start it before you get one......release the choke as soon as the motor fires. Then it will stall. Do it again several times until it stays running. If you leave the choke on after it fires it'll probably stall anyway, but you might flood it that way, and then it'll be even harder to start.

That's my experience with Forces and the key choke. OMCs with the separate choke lever start first time every time with just a little tweaking of the lever.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Be shure to have it hooked to water,or have the boat in the water when running/starting.
Grub

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is no conventional choke on that motor.
There is a fuel enrichment valve, that releases fuel directly into the intake manifold.

Open fuel tank vent

Check the kill switch, place in "run" position

Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Turn the key to the on/run position.

Activate the choke (fuel enrichment valve) by pushing in on the key. The valve is only open while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.

3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.

Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.

You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.

Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I'm going to start it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.