Proper way to calculate trim?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have an older motor and as so I do not have power trim. There are 5 holes/trim angles, I have experimented around to see a bit but have not noticed a huge difference in speed of the boat going down the top 3 spots. The pin is a bit hard to remove so I have to dock or beach the boat each time I adjust and around here there is no real dock space other than at the super busy launches which I avoid.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Just find the one where it performs best for your needs... Generally as close to the highest setting as you can get it without ventilating or porpoising will likely be the fastest top speed as low as you can run it will give he best hole shot...

You can't "calculate" it you just have to experiment till you find your best happy medium.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Just find the one where it performs best for your needs... Generally as close to the highest setting as you can get it without ventilating or porpoising will likely be the fastest top speed as low as you can run it will give he best hole shot...

You can't "calculate" it you just have to experiment till you find your best happy medium.
Okay thanks, I I'll probably go out this weekend and do some testing.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

+1..................

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I just went through testing and trimming of my new rig. I found that having a Tiny Tach worked very well. Higher RPM means more speed and you can work towards that and WOT specs with your normal loads pretty easy. If your load changes you can see the RPM differences to and adjust it as required. You can look at their stuff at www.tinytach.com.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Higher rpm CAN mean more speed but not always....

Grab the GPS from the dash of your car n take it with you also.