FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I just inherited a 1996 Evinrude 2 stroke 15 horse and need to know the oil fuel mixture-- I was told 100/1? I would appreciate any info- thanks!! Larry
Well 100:1 was a "' marketing " ploy for short while. A factory bulletin said to go back to 50:1.------They will run on 100:1 , just will not last for as many hours !!!!!
Officially 50:1 is the correct mixture for all premix models from 1964 and later Before 1964 most ran on 24:1.
Even after 1964 small engines without needle roller bearings are better run with a little more oil.
Around 1985 OMC attempted to switch to using 100:1 but after many engine failures and warranty claims they switched back to 50:1 for all premix engines a couple of years later including those sold as 100:1 engines.
Could I split the difference and maybe go 60, 70 -1
the fumes I was getting running 50-1 didn't seem right,
I have an old Yamaha aircooled which runs 25-1 and it was much worse than that ?
Skimping on oil is mistake.------Some oils are formulated to reduce smoking.-----------If you have the money to buy a new motor every 10 years or you can run at whatever mixture you like.---- There must be a reason why some motors from the 50's still run like new.