Proper lower shift shaft rotation question

CPro

Seaman
In reference with this old topic if needed, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...out-drive-maybe-this-is-obvious-but-not-to-me

I have a question please!
I leaned the lower half up against a log while i retracted the shift shaft. It was slightly nose down. Now it seems like everything is reversed somehow? I'm making this judgement based on the fact that when the shift shaft is straight ahead, if I rotate the prop CCW (i.e. in the reverse direction), the shaft going to the upper half rotates with it. I assume that this means that the lower half is actually in reverse when in this condition? Is this accurate? Maybe I am overthinking it since the torque actually comes in through the driveshaft to the prop. When I spin the prop, I'm actually applying torque from the propeller to the driveshaft which is the reverse of normal operation...?

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleWillie

Captain
The Revolving Question. ...
This all assumes the most Common Merc Alpha 1, Right Hand Drive which is what you'll have unless you have 2 engines.

The Engine will turn CCW looking forward through the Gimbel bearing at the Engine coupler. (Think, just like a huge drill motor.)
The Shaft and U-Joints sticking out of the top of the drive will turn CW facing Aft looking at the shaft.
The Vertical Drive Shaft inside of the drive will turn CW looking Down at the lower unit and the Impeller.
Note: All the previous rotations happen whenever the engine is running. FWD, REV, NEUT. Makes no difference.
In FWD, the Prop Shaft turns CW looking Forward into the Prop from behind the boat.

With the Drive in FWD, if you manually turn the prop CW (Forward), it will click and jump the clutch Dogs, The drive shafts may not always turn.
This is because you are simulating the rare condition where the prop is trying to outrun the motor.

With the Drive in FWD, if you manually turn the prop CCW (Backwards), the clutch will engage and the Drive shafts will rotate in REVERSE from normal.
This is because you are simulating the even rarer condition where the prop is loading the motor and actually winning the battle.

The opposite is true when in Reverse.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Think of it this way: take your ratchet handle, stick a extension (that is your prop shaft) on it. Hold the the handle so that the extension is pointed toward you. Hold onto the extension and flip the lever so that when you rotate the handle clockwise the extension rotates clockwise. That is your RUNING engine driving the propshaft (and prop) clockwise (against the resistance of the water) when you are under power. Now hold the handle stationary and try rotating the extension. It will rotate clockwise, but not counterclockwise. Same as when your gearcase is in forward with the engine NOT RUNNING. Hope that helps you visualize what is going on.

Last edited: