shift shaft alignment on out drive .....maybe this is obvious, but not to me!

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
MC #1 1979 228 mercruiser. I understand the lower shift shaft has to be in forward from the manual. I understand the intermediate has to be in forward, which is described as "straight ahead" to line up with the upper shift shaft which is also straight ahead to be in forward. It seems the intermediate shift shaft could be faced straight ahead, and then be flipped 180 degrees and still be straight ahead.

the top of the intermediate shaft is off set, so it would set further forward, or further back depending which way it is turned....which direction is correct?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: shift shaft alignment on out drive .....maybe this is obvious, but not to me!

If I can remember correctly... forward is what you want.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: shift shaft alignment on out drive .....maybe this is obvious, but not to me!

the top of the intermediate shaft is off set, so it would set further forward, or further back depending which way it is turned....which direction is correct?

Ayuh,... I too, am pretty sure it goes Forward... 99% sure...

ziggy

Admiral

maybe a pic is worth a thousand words..
IMG_1516.jpg

i also have to look at the pic sometimes as i can't remember either... long end fwd..

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... I too, am pretty sure it goes Forward... 99% sure...

I am 1% sure it faces forward, so between the two of us, We are 100% sure the big part of the foot faces fwd....

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Earlier in the year, I had mine backwards (180 out) on install after doing gimbal and bellows. With it that way the lower unit wouldn;t fully seat( had a good 3/4 of inch gap) as the foot was bound up on the top shaft. It was clear what happened.