Proper Engine Oil Amount?

cyauch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Based on manual, should be 5.5 quarts with filter change. did that. barely registers on the stick. added the last 1/2 quart from the 1 qt container (1 gal + 1 qt containers), and oil level rose to about half the ADD mark on the stick. Made sure the stick was firmly in place, trailer level, and let it sit for 30 minutes. engine does fire up and i see 40psi on the gauge. I also saw the oil drain from the top of the valve area, and also made sure it wasn't draining into bilge.

So my question is is 5.5 right? Seeing where some say they put 8 in. a video i watched had 9 qts but used 8. Some 6.5. I figured since a 'standard' chevy 305 5.5 would be right.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Chevy 305 will take 4.5 or 5.5 depending on the year. You may have The wrong dipstick.

cyauch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well crap. that never even crossed my mind. I suppose its possible the wrong stick is in there, but based on the overall condition of the engine, and lack of obvious work done to it (i.e. the factory paint still looks shiny...after i wiped it down once pulled from boat), I dunno.

I've given up trying to get it back into the water this year so I've kinda crossed over into winter maintenance i had planned this year since i bought it new to me in the Spring. My OCD is killing me each time i look at it :)

I probably should have captured the oil in a 'new' pan so i could have measured it. I added another 1qt tonight and with the tongue jack all up, just a tick over the top line on the stick. The pan is aftermarket Sierra as the original pan not only had a hole in it (from me) but had several soft spots i was able to press through so glad i handled that out with it out of the boat.

I'll see if i can see some numbers on the stick. maybe it is the wrong stick.