Proper beaching techniques?

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I am fairly new to boating (one full season) and wanted some information on the proper way to beach a boat. Let me explain. I have a 21.5ft deep V-hull boat that I frequently take down to the coast. I see people all of the time parking just off little islands and I would really like to do the same. Is there a proper way to park a boat in the sand like that or are these people tearing up their equipment. Right now I just anchor offshore and ride an inflatable raft over but this can be kinda tricky for my wife and I not to get wet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Proper beaching techniques?

Beaching any boat is NO good for it. Obvious problem is when you leave with any wind pushing you into the shore. You have to lower the drive and the the prop stirs up the sand which you drive thru. It goes into the water pump and settles in corners of the block or the thermostat. The bottom finish gets a good scrubbing with sand paper. None of this is severe damage. It is just not good.

saumon

Lieutenant

Here's what i do (don't know if it's the best way?):<br /><br />IF you want to do it, first have a look at the beach, it should be mostly sand. Very SLOWLY, with engine tilted up to the maximum where it can pump water, head to the shore with someone wearing polarized glasses on the bow looking for rocks. Don't rely on your depthfinder for this, cause when you see them on it, it's too late, you're over them. Oh yeah, this person should also had a firm grip on the boat, cause if you hit something, chances are she'll fell off the boat!<br /><br />At the beach, when you're out of the boat, try to lift the bow to pull it on the sand the fartest you can (usually approx. a feet more) than tie a rope to the bow ring and secure it tightly as you can to a large tree, a rock or something like that.<br /><br />Anyway, when waves were 2ft.+, it's not a good idea to do this.<br /><br />(Note: mine is a 17ft. aluminium, so no worries about the scratches. Doesn't know yours, but if it's fiberglass, be sure there's not rock to hit, and it's also heavier)<br /><br />Hope it help,<br /><br />Steve

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

"...the fartest you can"? rofl<br /><br />if your boats that heavy...<br /><br /><br />I know it's a typo, but it's just too perfect. :D

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

Ideally, try to find a beach with somewhat quiet water and an area that has a fast, deep drop off so its easier to motor on and off from. Always go slow and have someone ready with a pole or oar to push or row if necessary. Before beaching try to shift as much weight as possible (people/gear) towards the stern so you can get closer in before running aground. Put something like a boat fender or cushion on the beach to pull and rest your boat on so that their is less hull wear from the sand. Before you beach drop an anchor out from shore to tie your stern to it so it stays out away from shore and the boat stays perpendicular to the beach and you can use it to pull yourself back off the beach as well. The further up you pull your boat's bow onto the beach the less effect waves will have on pushing and moving your boat around. Keep a towel or something handy on the bow to clean/wipe sand and mud off your feet prior to reboarding. Always have a long rope ready to tie the bow off to something on shore. If you can't find a tree or log you can attach your rope to a small log or bucket that you bury deep and sideways in the sand. Always bring bug spray for the mosquitos and sand fleas. If you intend to stay at this spot for some time and want to improve your landing area bring a small shovel to make a trough and deepen the shallow spots for the bow. Plant a brightly colored flag or beach towel on your beach spot so that when you temporarily leave no one else will take your spot plus you will be able to quickly find it when you return.

saumon

Lieutenant

Originally posted by CN Spots:<br /> "...the fartest you can"? rofl<br /><br />if your boats that heavy...<br /><br /><br />I know it's a typo, but it's just too perfect. :D
:D :D :D <br />english isn't my first language, i'm french speaking...next time i'll try something like "as far as possible"<br />it could have been worst, like "shut the engine off before pulling the boat" but with an "i" instead of an "u" in "shut" :)

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Salut Saumon! Ton anglais est excellent! Il manquait un "h"<br /><br />farthest not FARTest(pète) :D

trog100

last time i tried it i didnt drop the anchor of the stern first and the boat just got turned sideways by the waves and pushed further up the beach which wasnt good.. it beached but not in an ideal way for getting off.. when the tide was well out i walked out as far as my anchor rope would let me and manually bedded the anchor in the sand..<br /><br />in the morning as the tide came in i just used the anchor rope off the stern of the boat to pull it out far enough to fire up the motors.. <br /><br />without the rope off the rear i think i would have had major problems getting off.. the waves would have just kept pushing the boat sideways on further up the beach as the tide came in..<br /><br />i do have a kicker motor which makes beaching and getting off easier.. the main leg is raised first then the kicker is used for the actual beaching..<br /><br />dropping the achor of the stern first is a good idea.. u really need two anchors.. one off the back and one off the front.. or at least some kinda spike u can drive in for the front..<br /><br />carefull u dont park on a rock too..<br /><br />trog<br /><br />ps.. the little speck in distance is my boat high and dry.. the tides here do go up and down twenty feet thow.. he he..<br /><br />
stranded-2.jpg

jmorgan1

Cadet

First of all, dry sand does not hold an anchor well. We place anchors in about 6" of water and set them with a 7 lb hammer.<br />With our cruiser, we used 3 anchors and put our stern to the beach. One bow anchor and 2 stern anchors, angled as wide as possible. <br />Our new 50 footer is steel hulled w/"c" metal welded along the keel....ideal for bow beaching. We run it onto the beach, hold it there with engines, and have helpers set anchors from the stern with long. wide angle lines. Have great photos of each, but can't figure out how to add photos to the reply????<br />Jim

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips. I have heard about keel guard does this stuff help or not? Also does it compromise any type of handling? Thanks again for the tips.

jmorgan1

Cadet

Not keel guard on our boat...steel hull, not fiberglass. We actually beach on slickrock and rock rubble when there is no sand. We touchup any bad scratches with bottom paint about one a year. On our fiberglass cruiser, we just polished out any scratches. Mostly, we "sterned in" with our cruiser, using 3 anchors. Means you have to wade 3-4' from shore to boat.<br />Jim

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my 18' aluminum I simply drive it right up onto the beach and put an anchor off the bow to hold it there. But with my Dad's and Uncle's 22 footer we will not normally "beach" the boat. We leave it in just enough water to keep it floating. This is much easier when you have a wind blowing you towards the shore. Drop a bow anchor about 50 feet out, kill the motor and put the motor/outdrive up. Let the wind blow you in and secure the bow anchor where you want to be. We normally drop a stern anchor just for some extra security. Just make sure that you're doing this at low tide so that your boat doesn't get stuck high and dry. (See it all the time) I also saw an anchor line that was almost like a giant bungee cord used to anchor. Drop this one far out, motor in, drop an anchor on the shore, let out enough line so that the bungee pulls the boat into deeper water. Can't remember the name of it though.

Surffx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AJ168: I think the name of that bungee thing you are talking about is called "Anchor Buddy"<br /><br /> http://www.anchorbuddy.com/ <br /><br />Not an endorsement (never tried it), just remembered others talking about it before.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an anchorbuddy and it's the best for beaching in somewhat calm locations.<br /><br />Drop the anchor off the stern with the anchor buddy attached to a cleat at the stern. Do this about 20 yards or so off the beach, you'll have to practice to get it the right distance. Continue on to the beach trimming up the drive. <br /><br />When you arrive on the beach, the anchor buddy should be pulling gently but firmly against you holding the boat on shore. Tie off a bow line and let the anchor buddy pull the boat back out into the water away from shore. Tie off the bow line to a tree or get one of those dog leash tethers that you twist into the ground.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

1 1/2 inch PVC pipe with a taper cut on one end and a hole in it in the other... stick a long screwdriver thru the pipe and twist it into the sand make it about 4 1/2 ft long.. use one at front and one at rear (bow stern) these work great not sure how big of waves they will put up with. simple and cheap throw um in the ski well.

Richard Petersen

Use the Anchor Buddy of the right capacity for removeing any shocks at anchor or a dock during a storm.

stevens

You don't need a bungee cord. You can get the same flexing action with any anchor rope or chain by using the age-old technique of the anchor weight pictured below. It is secured in its own line and lowered some length along the anchor rope, weighing it down.<br /><br />Scandinavians are peculiar in that we almost always dock/beach with the bow in & stern out. We even have our anchor lifts mounted aft, and the pulpits are open in the bow to make it easier to jump ashore.<br /><br />The technique is usually to drop anchor a bit out, approach land gently, jump ashore over the bow and secure a line on land. The weight of the anchor chain itself, or the anchor weight, will pull the boat gently out from land. It will also flex in waves, and will give the anchor a better bite by keeping the rode more horizontal.<br /><br />
chainmodel.GIF

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You know those corkscrew things you use to tether your dog in the front yard? I have one of those for in case I "beach" (I'm freshwater only so usually it's a bank, no sandy beaches) the boat & there's no trees or anything. Don't know if it'll hold in sand.<br /><br />If the bow is beached so it can't move farther up, a line from each stern eye to the beach, if angled out enough, will pretty much keep the boat from turning to the side.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

However you do it be sure to find out what the tides are for your area if applicable. If you beach at high tide and stay on shore a while you may be stuck until high tide qagain.