Propeller size suggestions

John Wilson

Cadet
Hello.<br />I need some suggestions as to whether I should change my prop size. After 10 years I finally mounted a tach on my 1985 Glastron SSV-151 with a 1987 85hp Force. At WOT I'm running 4800 rpm at about 31 mph. I think I have a 13x19 Michigan wheel but it is not marked as such. On the end (where you put the nut) it says MICHIGAN and then S P C 180. On the side its marked 974 K9. Is this a 13x19?<br /><br />I was told by a local mechanic that I should run a 13x17 to bring the WOT rpms up tp 5300. Is this good advice? This boat is used mainly for waterskiing at 26 mph and wakeboarding at 20 mph so top speed isn't as important as holeshot and speed stability.<br /><br />Thanks for your help. I prefer to saty with a aluminum prop but will consider other suggestions if the price is not too outrageous.
smile.gif
<br /><br />John<br /><br />------------------<br />John Wilson<br /><br />Timing is Everything

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Propeller size suggestions

go to www.miwheel.com to check out your prop ID #'s... key in & it should tell you what you got<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Good Luck!!!<br /><br />fone_man

BirdChaser

Seaman Apprentice

A related question...<br />Can a prop (SS or alum) be re-pitched or re-cupped? Or do you have to buy a new one?

JeffSlade

Seaman Apprentice

John, you probably should move down to a 17 pitch prop. It will give you a lot more pulling power. I recently changed my stock aluminum prop to a high performance aluminum prop. I dropped down 3" in pitch and gained 8 mph and a ton of pulling power. I got the Hustler prop sold here on iboats for about $80. It is a cupped aluminum prop and man does it grab the water. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

On my Force 125 I've just finished a comparision of a 17"cupped to a 19"plane both in aluminum. Cupped added 1" and not 2". I think you may be as pleased with a 17" cupped as with a noncupped.

kansasmike

Seaman Apprentice

I just went to a 14X17 Hustler prop from a OEM 14X19. Man oh Man! Same top end speed and mucho hole shot!

Gary Tuthill

Cadet

Greetings John: I have an '82 SSV-151 (fantastic boat!) but have an '82 Merc 90HP inline six. I have a SS 19" prop that runs trimmed out WOT about 5400RPM's which is over the limit for this particular motor. For this reason we never run any sustained WOT. Top speed is 43MPH. Our stopped to plane time is quite quick but I've never actually measured it. I looked into this whole prop issue recently and for my two cents I'd probably go with the Turning Point props. They're somewhat cheaper than OEM's and I've seen nothing but good things written about them. Either they're a pretty good product or they've got one heck of marketing campaign going on. Since your Force is an '87 I have to assume the horses were measured at the propshaft vs. the crank. Mine may or may not be but either way we should at most be no more than 5HP apart. Given that, I'd suggest the 17" or 19" SS model. Or as Jeff suggests, their cupped aluminum model has also brought about considerable praise. Another bonus is that replacements for damage or spare props are much cheaper than buying the whole prop/hub. Hope this helps.<br />Gary Tuthill<br />Britt, MN<br />'82 Glastron SSV-151 25th Anniversary Edition<br />'82 Merc 90HP L6

John Wilson

Cadet

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. I had decided to go for a 13x17 prop and was really excited to try the Hustler(Turning Point) model. Unfortunatly, they don't make a prop for my 1987 Force 85 HP so I'm limited to either a Michigan Wheel ($136) OEM-type or a Quicksilver ($155) OEM type that I was able to find locally. I'm leaning towards the Quicksilver but would welcome any comments or other suggestions.<br /><br />Gary,<br />yes it is a fantastic boat although a little small sometimes. My Force is rated at the crank so its definitely less powerful than your inline-6 90HP. I can only dream of 43 mph.
smile.gif
<br /><br />Thanks again everyone for the help. This is a great forum for boat and notor issues<br /><br />------------------<br />John Wilson<br /><br />Timing is Everything