Propane rant. PERGAKLOSICPEP!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Got up at 6 this AM. 20* outside, 45* inside.<br /><br />Shouldn't get that cold in here with the thermostat set at 55*. Set T'stat up to 65* (normal daytime setting). Nothing.<br /><br />Checked pilots on the range. Out.<br /><br />Went out to check tank (250gal). On zero.<br /><br />Checked bank statement. Haven't had a propane bill since July.<br /><br />The semi-monthly visit from the contracted firm to top it off has not happened in SIX MONTHS!!<br /><br />Faint odor of gas in the house so I don't think a fire in the fireplace is a good idea.<br /><br />I am not a happy camper. :(

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Propane rant. PERGAKLOSICPEP!!

OUCH! That's awful cold for INSIDE, JB. Make sure you turn off the main valve at the tank ASAP. There may not be enough pressure to sustain the pilot lights, but enough gas in the tank to have some pressure, thus your gas smell. Sure hope someone can get there quickly for ya JB. Best of luck.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea turn the tank off ASAP.<br />The gas you are smelling is what's left in the lines and the pilots are out so it is making it's way into the house.<br /><br />Open the doors and windows and use a fan to help pull it out.<br />You can always go out and sit in the car with the heater going for a bit till it airs out.<br /><br />But the turn off valve is important to get shut off now.

gaugeguy

Captain

Yup, open the windows, Brrrrr, and go out for breakfast.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I've had that happen many times in my camper.....didn't realize I was low on Propane, spare tank turned off.....woke up and it's about 40* in the camper....put on shorts, go outside, try to pull cover off while shivering miserably, turn on tank, try to light hot water heater, then go back inside....no fun....but at least I had a spare tank....<br /><br />Try to stay warm, but you need to air that house out....

KaGee

Admiral

Makes me appreciate natural gas sooo much more.<br /><br />Sounds like a breech of contract on their behalf. I'd be on the war wagon for sure.

Homerr

Commander

Yep Jb... Your turn.<br /><br />Open the doors and windows!<br />You should also get a CO2 detector too. It would have sniffed that gas out long before you could.<br />Anyone who uses gas appliances should have one of those detectors hanging nearby.<br /><br />I don't use those 250 gallon tanks anymore.<br />I got ripped off when they came out to fill it. They don't give you a price break for buying in bulk like that either. I think they should.<br /><br />I converted mine to use regular 50# cans. A pain in the butt to fill all the time, but I know when I'm out, and I know exactly how much gas I'm getting.<br /><br />With the 250 gallon tank, it would last me about 2 months in the winter, or 8 weeks. <br />That's approx. 25 gallons per week (figure they fill to 80%- 200 gallons)<br /><br />Now when I converted over to my smaller cans... I used approx. 10 gallons under heavy use per week. (I average about 7 gallons a week under normal use)<br /><br />Of course...nobody can explain where the gas is going from the 250 tank... And how do you prove they are actually putting in propane and not something else like air?<br /><br />To heck with the gas company. I told them to come pick their tank up and shove it.<br />I'll fill my own from now on. Around here, they don't bill for a big tank either. It's either cash up front or nothing. That hurts to come up with that much cash every few months.<br /><br /><br />H.

rogerwa

Commander

I just converted my cabin from a 400lb tank which had to be 'serviced' to two 100lb tanks with a failover regulator. Seems to work OK although hauling that tank around to get filled is no fun. My 400lb tank was freezing up between the valve and the regulator. Last year I had to go out several times at night in single digit weather to thaw the pigtail and restart the heater.<br /><br />Just a general question, does the samller tank give less pressure than the large one??

ehenry

Commander

JB, how come why come you didn't call your supplier when you noticed they weren't coming as regularly as they should?

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Yup, open the windows, Brrrrr, and go out for breakfast.
Then you might want to give Hank Hill a call :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br />
Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Yup, open the windows, Brrrrr, and go out for breakfast.
Then you might want to give Hank Hill a call :D
For propane and propane accessories :D

ob

Admiral

Break out the electric blanket if you got one and stay warm JB.Surprising that they would miss a delivery at the price of propane nowadays.

JB

Didn't notice, EF.<br /><br />For 10 years they kept it full so I just took it for granted they were continuing. Didn't notice no bills either.<br /><br />Warming up the war wagon.<br /><br />Meanwhile I ventilated the house (brrrrrrrrr) then built a fire in the fireplace. Up to 50* now.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

JB, time for an early morning rusty nail to warm you up.<br /><br />rogerwa, sounds like moisture got into the tank, somehow. It needed to be run empty, then have the tank and lines purged of moisture. Maybe just needed to purge the lines.<br /><br />Most everyone around here uses a 500 gallon gas pig.<br />I pay in June/early July, able to lock in a reasonably priced year long contract price, no seasonal price fluctuations. The local co-op services a 100 by 80 mile area, and is the largest proprane seller in the region. They are able to get great prices for their members. Even better is the pre-paid annual "keep full" contract. <br /><br />I got a contract for $1.12 a gallon, which is only a few cents more than last year. Sure beats paying the $1.55 or $1.74 they want if you don't have a contract.<br /><br />They always show up when there is about 20% left in the tank. They monitor your gas useage when you start with them, and adjust that to the heating degree days for the current weather period, all on computer system. That allows them to maximize the gallons sold per delivery trip. But I still keep an eye on the tank when it gets close to needing a fill.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Well it must be a Texas thing. I got up at 3 this morning and my heater wasn't working either. I have a new central unit, only 5 months old. I called the guy this morning, he said when I got off give him a call, he'll be right out. Its 2 hours later and he still isn't here. I sure wish I had a fireplace.

ndemge

Commander

Electric space heaters are nice :) <br />Know where your different circuits are and have at it. $12 at walmart for 1500 watt with thermostat and safety auto shutoff<br /><br />We have an elctric furnace in our 26 year old house, it's very expensive for me to heat the whole house with the furnace, using a space heater in each of the 2 bedrooms at night drops my monthly electric $80 or so. Letting the rest of the hosue dip to 55-60. Then in the morning, it takes about 5 minutes to heat up. With only a 1,000 sqft house, it heats up very quickly, but looses it's heat just as fast.

JB

Well, crisis over. <br /><br />I have gas again, management at the dealer has a freshly tenderized gluteous maximus, and all is well at The Hideout. :)

ob

Admiral

So,what reason did they give for not showing up in months to refill the tank?Just forgot,or what?Did you pay upon delivery before or by mail?<br /><br />Inquiring minds need to know. ;)

JB

They said they changed computers about a year ago and the operator screwed up entering the "keep full" list.<br /><br />Driver said he had 5 customers empty this AM, all suppoosedly on the "keep full" list.<br /><br />The problem is supposedly being fixed.<br /><br />Always pay by mail. They don't want the drivers handling cash or checks.

Homerr

Commander

Rogerwa...<br /><br />I believe propane expands 200% when it hits the air, so I wouldn't think different size tanks would have different pressures out of their valves.<br /><br />It wouldn't matter even if they did.... your regulator keeps things in check.<br /><br />H.